Featured Summertime Edibles - 2017

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tundraking, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

jg, crown-tipped coral only grows on dead wood. Any coral growing in dirt instead will be another species of ramaria, some of which are poisonous.

2. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

tickcollector, thanks for the 411! I've kept my eye open for honeys, but thats another one I haven't found yet. I'll do some research and let them grow.

3. tundraking

So... I went for a walk on lunch break to see about picking those honeys since its been a few days, and they were gone... Now, in the last couple years I haven't even seen a sign of another picker in this area, and those honeys were fairly hidden, and they were completely picked. Its interesting because there are a lot of chants and lobsters in the same area, but they don't get picked. At least not yet... So now I'll have to turn on my radar for honeys in the future.

4. tickcollector

tickcollector Morel Enthusiast

That's too bad you couldn't get another look at them to get a positive ID. I was really curious to know too. I usually don't find them in my spots until the end of August/early-september.

5. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

Found these yesterday

Attached Files:

Barnacle likes this.
  6. tundraking

jg, Nice find! Where abouts in the state do you live?

7. mustachio

mustachio Morel Enthusiast

We made a chanterelle hunting video. Just for laughs and good times but it's been a really bad season, this is the latest it's ever been before finding a few pounds of solid chanterelles and the chicken has been practically nonexistent. Anyway here's the video if you're interested:

8. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Looks like the majority of your Chanterelles are Cantharellus phasmatis, the Ghost chanterelle. Named so because of the white stem & underside. The other ones are most likely C. flavus because of the fruity smell.

Antiquated notions and Barnacle like this.
  9. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

I love it! You guys are funny.

Jack keep that knowledge coming, great stuff.

Antiquated notions likes this.
  10. mustachio

mustachio Morel Enthusiast

Thanks! We try. Not that hard, though, because I get hurt every time I try too hard.

This is fantastic information, I've been curious about this forever. I need to do some research so I can pretend I went to mycology school.

11. jg010682

I live in sauk rapids. I've only been finding them in one location i have found some in others but not that many just a few here and there

12. jg010682

Any idea what kind of shroom this is couldnt get a good pick of the underside looks like old man of the woods to me

Attached Files:

13. jg010682

Here is the under side

Attached Files:

14. tundraking

I've never found one of those, but it looks like an old man of the woods to me!

15. misskay

misskay Morel Connoisseur

Old man for sure :)

16. trumzee

trumzee Morel Enthusiast

17. trumzee

trumzee Morel Enthusiast

Mustachio - Like the video! Loads of chants for the both of you. Went to a St Park so. of Northfield but no chants. Lots of other shrooms. Identified a bunch of ginseng but do know the rules bout dat. What type of tree do chants prefer? Its a great week to harvest shrooms. (weather wise) Thanks for any help in areas to target.

Did the big skeeter bite Miss Blonde on the cheek bone? ha, ha

18. tundraking

Got out last weekend with my daughter and my dog. Found some lobsters, hedgehogs, and a few chants. The slugs were goin to town on the lobsters. I was only able to take a quarter of what I found.

Side Note:
    Be careful out there for ground wasps/bees and such. We had just started foraging when my 13 1/2 year old springer stepped on a nest and it exploded with bees. Before I knew it, he was covered and being succumbed by them. He couldn't even run. Had to haul my daughter 50 yards away, ran back and started wiping them off with a spare mesh bag I carry. Of course I'm getting bit at this point, but I kept at it. Pulled him 5-10 feet, wipe, pull, wipe, and so on until we could get away from them. He had to have taken 40-50 bites in the short time this took, so I was expecting him to go into major shock or something, but he ended up ok. We got back to the truck, fed him a bunch of water and food, we regrouped, had a grill out lunch, and went back to foraging!
    Needless to say, I'll be carrying some benadryl with me from now on.

Attached Files:

Barnacle likes this.
  19. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Great advice! After learning about permethrin from others on this site, I happened to be looking at a bottle of powdered ground bee killer that I had used in my yard last year and noticed that the only active ingredient was permethrin. So i wonder if it might help you in case of another bee incounter. ??

20. tundraking

Thats interesting. They move with intent when they're in attack mode, so I'm guessing they'll have stung you and will be on there way to dying before the permethrin does its thing...

Barnacle likes this.