SUMMERTIME FINDS 2018

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by Fowlkiller, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Fowlkiller

Fowlkiller Morel Enthusiast

Hey All,

Been wanting to get this thread going since I saw the first chanterelles starting to pop. Let’s keep each other in the know and use this to post finds, pics, tips, and ideas on IDs, etc.

With all the rain we’ve had over the weekend and still yet to come, conditions should rebound around here very nicely.

Here are some pics from this summer – chanterelles, oysters, and chicken OTW – found around Harford, Howard, and Balt county areas.

Good luck out there,

-Matt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

a few summer mushrooms...

Attached Files:

Fowlkiller and (deleted member) like this.

3. redfred

was out today had to bend and tie my shoe or never would have seen the first one aug 15 005.JPG
    i thought morels were hard to find... found the others walking back over my path... aug 15 009.JPG aug 15 010.JPG aug 15 011.JPG this will take new eye training ..

2 people like this.
  4. loveofmushroomz

loveofmushroomz Young Morel

awesome I am in Glen Arm and will be looking for something tasty

5. redfred

had a good day in the woods... shroom day 023.JPG shroom day 016.JPG shroom day 012.JPG shroom day 016.JPG

1 person likes this.
  6. Fowlkiller

Indeed you did sir... Great haul! I’m starting to see a lot of black trumpets popping up as well. Thank God it was getting dark otherwise I would’ve trudged right through... went back the next to find two of the biggest flushes I’ve ever seen. I love summer shrooms. Also got into a huge patch of chanterelles last wknd, 9# by the time the smoke cleared.

Anybody starting to see any hens out there yet?

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  7. redfred

No sign of hens yet... your crab pic is killing me.... Maryland my Maryland....

8. redfred

i got excited for 30 seconds View attachment 10700 nope.. black stain i did find some big trumpets black 008.JPG black 009.JPG black 006.JPG this sight is getting frustrating

1 person likes this.
  9. redfred

still finding a few....

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  10. redfred

i have no clue????? sep 005.JPG sep 006.JPG sep 007.JPG

11. redfred

View attachment 11268 out for a walk today thing maybe chicks or hens...do you think chants are done????

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. Fowlkiller

Think the chants might be going for a little while longer, though in different areas. There’s a late spot where I was finding them into October last year, I’m going to try and stop by there this wknd and I’ll report back. This cool air has me on the lookout for old white oak trees now, hoping to see some hen action starting!

1 person likes this.
  13. redfred

we had a lot a rain the last few days and more coming a little brake so let's go for a walk ... I will leave a stick leaning against a tree on my way out for me next time or whoever might need it... grabbed and old stick walked about 100 yards and found i was not alone.... i was thinking lets see how far this can go....no better not ..so found what i thought was a good spot and coax him or her off ... yes it pee'd on me .... GUESS IT WAS NEVER MY STICK..... wet walk 001.JPG

Attached Files:

14. redfred

a lot to see after the rain wet walk 002.JPG wet walk 004.JPG wet walk 006.JPG wet walk 008.JPG wet walk 012.JPG wet walk 013.JPG wet walk 018.JPG wet walk 014.JPG wet walk 021.JPG

1 person likes this.
  15. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Yea redfred. . . that's such a cool little Nature Vignette. Thanks for sharing. I felt I was there. . . . well, perhaps because of "Toadie" who lived in various potted plants on our deck for two years . . . moving every few weeks from one to another . . . until . . . arm-in-arm with Mother Nature . . . Toadie simply wandered off . . .

Before that, he would bury himself except for his give-away eyes, waiting for . . .

toady in planter at edge of deck.JPG

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    2 people like this.
  16. redfred

what does 5 days growth look like? oct 004.JPG wet walk 002.JPG

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  17. Fowlkiller

So funny you asked,
    I watched a few time lapse videos of hens the other day and found the sweet spot is between 8-14 days depending on local conditions. I found this one at the base of a black oak the evening of 9/27, went back on Wednesday 10/3 and though I think it would’ve tripled in size or more, I harvested – Unbelievably tender. And it helped that there was another on deck! Happy Huntin!
    -MH

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.