Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Its Sheephat lol.

I pick only the small ones or just cut off the outside 1 inch of the mushroom to get the less woody parts. I cut them into small chunks (chicken nugget size) and bread them. Fry them in a little olive oil. Then dip them in marinara sauce. (maybe cut up some wild ramps and cook them into the sauce)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Headed to Hocking Hills after work today for the weekend... Never been shroom hunting outside of summit county... Hopefully they're still poppin up down there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No luck here. Searching spots which have been productive, almost nothing. Three days ago, I spotted 2 very small grays and marked them. Went back Saturday and Sunday and there was no growth. I think we need some rain. I'm near the summit/cuyahoga line. :-|

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a couple of small ash trees, one being dead... Found absolutely nothing in all my other spots... And this is the first time I have seen them in this spot in 4 years. Its been another strange season

·
Registered
17 Posts
I keep seeing people post about cuyahoga valley. I have never looked there because my understanding was they specifically prohibited mushroom collecting in the national park. Does someone have different info from a ranger or anything? Just curious, have thought about going there to look around but didn't think the consequences would b worth it. Any info would b great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wish I could site specific sources, but I have heard from a variety of people and websites that the only places you CANT pick from are Metro Parks. The valley does contain a number of metro parks, however there are copious amounts of non-metro park land that is good to go. The metro park entrances are clearly marked at the entrance and there are also numerous piles that mark their property line in the woods. I hope this helps and again I wish I could tell you I heard this from a ranger, but i didn't. I am a betting man tho, and I would put $ on it. :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well i checked the national parks website and the superintendents compendium ( park specific rules) states no mushrooms may be collected. Nuts and berries are allowed but they have mushrooms listed seperately as not allowed to collect. Not tryin to ruin anyones huntin just thought that fines and such for gettin caught in a national park are probably a bit heftier than a metro park( heard metro fine is around 150bucks). I did read that they previously allowed it it but due to lots of people hunting them and trashing areas they then prohibited it. Good luck to y'all, I'm gonna stay away. More for you guys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
http://www.nps.gov/cuva/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm. scroll down and click on superintendents compendium link for rules pdf.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not saying it is not there, but were in that doc. do you see mushrooms stated as not allowed? I did not see mushrooms brought up at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
see Section III (General Provisions), Page 9 of 22 regarding 36 CFR Section 2.1(c)(1) and (c)(2) (fungi are not considered fruits, nuts or berries and cannot be collected in any quantity)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see you on here a lot. I just moved here in December. I have plenty of acres to hunt in Lorain but nothing yet. I have been hunting for 40 years. Hoping to catch a batch up here. Ground is cold and dry. Supposed to rain today but still cold. Will look today anyhow and tomm. Love those yellows!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I get where they are coming from, but what is the difference between collecting fungi and collecting nuts and berries? Both involve "off trail scavenging." I smell a conspiracy

41 - 60 of 73 Posts