Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I went back to my favorite spot on 05/01/2021. Perfect conditions including moisture, huge poplar trees (in National Park), and leaf cover with sprouting ferns. I found zero merkels. I surrender for this year, and am worried if I will ever again find them where I have had success since I was 12, now 70. Hope others are having better luck!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, I went back to my favorite spot on 05/01/2021. Perfect conditions including moisture, huge poplar trees (in National Park), and leaf cover with sprouting ferns. I found zero merkels. I surrender for this year, and am worried if I will ever again find them where I have had success since I was 12, now 70. Hope others are having better luck!!
I don’t think it’s you I’ve gone 5 times with the same conditions as you, the only thing I found is one black snake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's definitely not just you. I have several spots in and around the park, so no matter if it's an early season and the lower, warmer spots do best, or a late season and the higher up spots do best, or something in between, I'll have a good season.

This year, I've found maybe 1lb of merkles total. In areas where I can normally grab a few pounds in a couple hrs, this year I'd find maybe a dozen merkles total.

And I had a better year than anyone I know! I'd say over half my friends that post morels on Facebook every year posted nothing but disappointment this year, and those who did manage to find some, only found enough to whet their appetite.

In my opinion, we were kinda due for it. The last year I remember that was this bad was 2010, maybe 2011.

I got 1 last higher elevation spot I'm going to check tomorrow morning, but my hopes aren't too high. Oh well, let the mycelium continue spreading underground, so there will be more fruiting sites next year!

·
Registered
49 Posts
We spent 3 weeks in Shenandoah National Park between Luray and Front Royal from 4/18 thru 5/9. About 3 lbs total. 2 days accounted for 2.5 of those pounds. Poorest year in 3 years. Much due to loss of Ash trees but this year it was far colder than any other year I've recorded.
Out of 21 nights, 10 were below freezing with most others in the 30's- and this at low elevation.
Even some locals we met said they had little luck. One has property near Stanley that backs to the park and there is no public access. She said in a normal year she picks 40-60 'gallons' but had only found a handful this year. She only had about 8-10 when we met her in the National park. She blamed it on the cold also.
They just weren't there except in a few very local spots. One report had nice finds of Blacks near Winchester. This form someone who picks and sells the Blacks for $125 per gallon. Whites/yellows sell for $40 to $60 per pound I have never sold a mushroom and never will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts