Texas Message Board 14

Discussion in 'Texas' started by nate, Mar 2, 2014.

1. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

March in Texas means that the Morels should be comin out somewhere soon in that big ole state.

2. brush1

brush1 Young Morel

i sure hope so. i grew up picking them in northwest arkansas. i have had a little luck here finding them here but not like when i was there.

3. derrek

derrek Morel Enthusiast

Hey Nate,
    I think this years weather is going to make it a bit of a later start than usual for the Lone Star State. Prayers for you and your family Nate.

4. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Thanks Derrek!! Yeah I figured it would be late for most of Texas, but I bet down there in southern TX it should be coming soon. Those are probably harder to find them down in those parts... Lots of desertish land with Cactus and things.
    I appreciate the prayers for my family.

5. toomuchfungus

toomuchfungus Young Morel

I'm a new Texan looking forward to my first Texas morel season.

I am in Dallas, but will likely be picking in East Texas near Tyler and in the Hill Country between Dallas and Austin.

Scouting potential picking spots and keeping an eye on soil temps, which are getting there:
    http://dtn.txfb.org/index.cfm?show=1&mapID=20&showMenu=0

Anyone have early finds yet?

A few other questions for the group, as info on Texas morels seems pretty scarce.

1. Do you get verpas and gyros here as early season indicators of good habitat?

2. For East Texas, I understand that elms and cottonwoods (dead and dying best) are common host species and that may-apple and Trillium are good indicators of timing. Anything else I should know?

3. For the Hill Country, I understand I am looking for junipers and limestone. Other tips?

Happy Hunting!

6. kff786

kff786 Young Morel

I recently moved to Houston from Southern Missouri where I avidly hunted morels. I was hoping to do so down here. Do they grow down here and are the plentiful? I know better than to ask where your spots are but was hoping someone could clue me in to when the typical season is around Houston. I am sure it will be later than normal with the cooler weather we have had. Any info would be appriciated. Thanks

7. morchellica

morchellica Morel Connoisseur

I don't live in Texas, don't hunt morels in Texas but you are far from prime time morel hunting my friend. Hill country can have good morels I hear and I would guess they will be coming up soon. That's all I know for southern Texas. If you are used to hunting in Missouri you may get disappointed. Good luck

8. kff786

kff786 Young Morel

I was afraid of that. I didn't expect them to be as abundant but at least the possibility of finding some. Might make a trip up to Austin. Anybody having luck up there?

9. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Enthusiast

this video is a good starter for texas hunters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxKjfGXCKQ4

10. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

forager, Is that dolomite limestone around those morels? I think that has something to do with them to. The more rock the more morels. They grow right out of the ground clutter. Cedars are not nearly so prolific when you get out of the limestone.

11. ndwoods

ndwoods Morel Enthusiast

I'm gonna pick some big ol shrooms next weekend on the banks of Lake Fork, while catchin some big ol bass!!!

12. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

Wow ndwoods, May I please go..lol Have you found shrooms in that area before?

13. toomuchfungus

toomuchfungus Young Morel

May get a chance to poke around a few spots near Tyler this week.

Anyone finding anything out that way yet?

14. derrek

derrek Morel Enthusiast

just saw a post out of Cooke county on a find of 59 Morels. The picture appeared to be mature yellows. Wished we would have gotten more rain today but I will take any moisture at this point. I know what I will be doing tomorrow. Report to follow

15. nate

nate Morel Connoisseur

How did you do Derrek? Good to see you on

16. derrek

derrek Morel Enthusiast

Found a dozen greys. none too big with slight wind burn on the tips so they had been up for a bit. No yellows yet, but I am hopeful they will start popping this weekend. We are in desperate need for some rain down here. Hope all is well with your family Nate.

17. derrek

derrek Morel Enthusiast

Just watched your video Nate. Not too shabby. If we don't get some rain here in the next week or so I will probably wind up heading north in a couple weeks to do some Oklahoma hunting.

18. umhbmom2008

umhbmom2008 Young Morel

Just found 3 in my yard right by a cedar tree. Wasn't looking for them and couldn't believe my eyes. I grew up in Maryland and hunted for them but had little hope of them here. It's ironic that the tree that causes me to be so miserable in January, makes me so dang happy in March.

19. missourishroommate

missourishroommate Morel Connoisseur

Hey all, we'll I thought I would slip on down to the great state of Tejas and swipe some early season morels. I've hunted from Dallas to Waco and ran the red river from 35 to Paris and north into ok. Hunted for three days sun up to sundown and didn't find a single morel. My brother found 20 smalls so we did not get skunked. But I did...I knew it was going to be risky but I welcomed the learning experience. I didn't know I would get so seriously schooled. Anyway, thanks for the hospitality Texas! Now for the drive back to KC. Until next time time...

Good luck Texas ShroomMates!
    Mitch

20. benthegrate

benthegrate Morel Enthusiast

Don't feel bad, Mitch, it's been too dry here. I hunted some sweet spots near Lake Whitney,and even though there were puddles on the road from last Friday's rain, the dirt under the cedars/junipers was parched. We need more rain if we're gonna have a season here this year.