1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Texas Message Board 2016

Discussion in 'Texas' started by morelorel, Feb 16, 2016.

1. morelorel

morelorel Morel Enthusiast

Greetings fellow Texans. According to the soil temp maps and degree day data the season is soon upon us. Should be an earlier start and thus a longer than usual season for us as the degree day index for central TX is at 666 already.

http://uspest.org/wea/gis/NW_32sc.png
    The winter storms in the north TX area should have stressed and broken enough trees to trigger a damn good fruiting this year. I'm feeling optimistic for us Texans. Should be hitting my normal spots in a few weeks. :mrgreen: [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. missourishroommate

missourishroommate Morel Connoisseur

Hey MorelOrel, I am getting antsy up here in Missouri watching your weather down there. I like to travel when the season starts especially when the gas is $1.15 a gallon :)

I have not yet decided whether to start in Texas, or Georgia this year. I'm sure the next two weeks will dictate the answer...

Good luck ShroomMate!
    Mitch

3. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur

Hey Mitch - Check this out ! [​IMG]

https://www.etsy.com/listing/230731724/premium-camo-morel-mushroom-drawstring

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  4. morelorel

5. missourishroommate

Hey nutsak, kind of a vulgar name for a merchandiser (just my opinion). 9" x 12" is an extremely small bag for carrying Mushrooms. Would work nicely to carry my GoPro gear though if it were waterproof.

FYI: There is a designated forum here for selling items though so you might give that some consideration in the future.

Mitch

6. morelorel

This is what I use now
    http://www.adkbaskets.com/1365/mushroom-hunters-packbasket-2/

7. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur

Yeah I should probably change the name to - Bags that carry stuff.com

Hey anyway I used to pack them out in larger bags but they would smash the fuck out of the bottom of the bag because of their own weight. So I learned not to over fill the mesh bags. Instead I would take several smaller mesh bags so the don't get turned to mush.

I make other custom gear like you are talking about and I can order some waterproof material

8. missourishroommate

Hey nutsak, to be honest with you when I saw your post I thought it was an overseas spam simply targeting users of this website. that is why I was short with you. I see now that you are an actual person and it appears, a mushroom hunter as well. Good luck with your items!

Mitch

9. boiled dove

boiled dove Morel Enthusiast

Just moved to Dallas a few months ago from Indiana. Ready for an early season down here. It has been rather warm so I was thinking about heading out to look around tomorrow. Am I too early?

Also people down here don't seem to know anything about morels, for the most part. Are there a lot fewer people out searching than there are in the midwest?

I have morels tattooed on my leg and no one knows what they are.

10. morelorel

BoiledDove I reckon the southern tip of the Texas morel zone may be flushing soon in two weeks here. It's a month too early for us in North Central Texas to be looking. By all means you are welcome to check. No, Morels are not popular here and I would like it to stay that way lol. We don't get a long season and the killer droughts some years take their toll so our poor meager morel flushes can't support the same kind of fanaticism seen in the upper midwest. Foraging in general is having a resurgence in popularity though. I imagine there will be more competition to accompany this surge in interest.

11. boiled dove

Good stuff to know. Thanks for the info.

Now to figure out how to update my profile pic.

12. boiled dove

Also, I hear Junipers are the go to tree in these parts. Any truth to that?

13. morelorel

Yes they are found under juniper, but In far North Texas junipers are not nearly as common as oak, winged elms, ash, hickory, and cottonwood. The more west and south you go like in the Hill Country, juniper stands become the main habitat for Morels.

14. boiled dove

Cool. I checked out a nice size nature preserve between D and FW today. I think if it ever rains they will start popping.

15. madmike0021

madmike0021 Young Morel

I got out of the military a few years ago and moved to Austin. I have done alot of morel hunting up in Michigan and I have also found them in Burnett before I joined the military. So it has been some years since I have had a chance to look.

It rained pretty good lastnight in the area with a small cold front. I was considering venturing out this weekend, am I to early?

16. nativetexan

nativetexan Morel Enthusiast

The earliest I've seen them in north Texas is February 26. That was is 2012 when we had a similar winter to this one.

17. novicexpert

novicexpert Morel Enthusiast

Great to hear someone getting ready to look for them in our area. I'm a first year mushroom man but i've been all about the woods for a long time. I've got a few places to check within about an hour drive from dallas. I'm hoping to see morels out early this year being that i have never been hunting ever. So with that said i'm planning a trip in about ten days and i'll let you guys know what i find i'm going to bring my good camera with the stock lens but that is better than my cell camera. If anyone in the north dallas area would like to scout out some location with me this year hit me up and let me know experienced or not i'll be willing to go with someone as opposed to going by my self.

18. novicexpert

i'm in the north dallas area and am a first year mushroom enthusiast but would be willing to team up with someone in the area to look this year. I'm an outdoors guy so i have a few spots that i would like to try not to far from here. I'm in the ac business so i'm kinda off until the weather gets warmer so i have a lot of spare time this time a year to say the least. i was planning on going in about ten days from today this rain should be good to get some shrooms growing.

Anyways hit me up if u want to come along or if you have some good spots you know about i would be willing to tag along.

Thanks

19. morelorel

BenTheGreat is leading a foray on march 19th at the Denton Clear Creek Natural Heritage center. You should join them! I will be busy in the Hill country by then pulling poundage so wont be there myself but I recommend you go if you're in the area.

20. novicexpert

ha well i was thinking about going north about that time to OK what do you think about that time of the year for the middle of OK