The 2017 season is almost here

Discussion in 'Kansas' started by cdwraw, Feb 28, 2017.

1. cdwraw

cdwraw Morel Enthusiast

Just checked ground temp and its 54. I read somewhere years ago that ground temp needs to be between 55-58 for shrooms to pop. So we have some rain in the forecast, think I will be checking after work. Wish me luck

Sarah likes this.
  2. ksmorel

ksmorel Young Morel

I checked a few spots and nothing yet. Im hoping for some rain. Might check again today and scope out some places. My guess is next weekend will be good if we get rain.

Sarah likes this.

3. mikeeieio

mikeeieio Young Morel

When I have some morels, I wash them in plain cool water. Then, I pour the spore bearing wash water into 2 liter pop bottles 3/4 full. Squeeze each bottle so most of the air is expelled, then cap it and freeze the bottle. This helps keep it from splitting under ice pressure. After a few weeks, let the bottles thaw out. The next day pour the water where you want the morels to grow. Next year keep your eye on that spot where you poured the water. This has worked for me three times (different years). I live in southern Indiana and wanted to share this when the season gets started. Mike

Richard Franklin and Smdavidson like this.
  4. hungryforshrooms

hungryforshrooms Morel Enthusiast

I'm curious as to why you freeze it.

5. cdwraw

cdwraw Morel Enthusiast

So has anyone found any shrooms yet?
    As warm as it's been they are bound to come up as soon as we get some rain.
    Which we have a small chance for rain all week here around Big Hill area.

Sarah likes this.
  6. burnzykc

burnzykc Young Morel

Went out today to try and find some morels. I didn't have any luck, it's just too dry.

Sarah likes this.
  7. shroomanitu

shroomanitu Morel Enthusiast

Mike ElElO, yes, why do you freeze it?

8. dragon76

dragon76 Morel Enthusiast

good rains down here in SEK, with more in the forecast. next weekend should be good to go

Sarah likes this.
  9. dchitw

dchitw Morel Enthusiast

Had a few small rains over the last four days. Went out a little yesterday and didn't find any. Red buds have been our for awhile and usually a few weeks after them. Ground is a little cool but once found them in the snow.

Sarah likes this.
  10. dchitw

dchitw Morel Enthusiast

We got over two inches of rain last night. Looks like everybody got good rains from the map. Has the potential to be a good year.

Sarah likes this.
  11. nellman

nellman Young Morel

I've already sein 4 different people pull them up around Manhattan. I personally have not found anything in pott country yet

Tekquera01 and Sarah like this.
  12. dragon76

dragon76 Morel Enthusiast

still waiting here in PIttsburg area, still thinking by Saturday, should see a few. Oklahoma site not showing any finds close to the border yet.

Sarah likes this.
  13. ksmorel

ksmorel Young Morel

Found some today 30 miles north of Wichita

Tekquera01 likes this.
  14. ksmorel

ksmorel Young Morel

Found about a 1/2 pound today. Everything was flooded and i couldnt really go where i like. But if it stops raining sat should be a great day in kansas. The ones i found were all young yellows, very light in color, some very small but some larger ones too. Glad i got out my raincoat! I did notice they all have very small bugs... I never noticed this until last year. Any ideas why or how to get rid of them.

Tekquera01 likes this.
  15. tickbait

tickbait Morel Enthusiast

A friend of mine just sent me a picture of a pretty good haul, maybe five pounds of fresh and larger whites. Came from south eastern Kansas, near Oklahoma. After all the rain and decent temperatures I went out this morning around Lawrence and didn't find anything.

Looking at the forecast for the next week, I'm not too optimistic. The ground is wet and we should see more rain, but the daytime and overnight temperatures look like they're going to stay low. I'm going to hold off a bit until it improves, or I hear otherwise!

16. dchitw

dchitw Morel Enthusiast

Finally found a couple today. Just picked the one which was a nice mushroom. The other was just barely coming up through the leaves. I'm SE of Wichita. mushroom.jpg

17. Tekquera01

Tekquera01 Young Morel

I am itching ready to go... if we had sun today it be perfect rather cold right now. :(

Blackbeard likes this.
  18. boone

boone Morel Connoisseur

Anyone from around Moundcity ?

19. Taylor

Taylor Young Morel

Any good spots around junction city/ fort riley area?

20. nuttymorels

nuttymorels Morel Enthusiast

For anyone in or around the Wichita area I have a general question. Does anyone find decent Amounts on public land or are most spots private? I have had great success finding on private property but lost access a few years back. I have only found them once on public land in the last 4 years and that spot has gone dry the past 2 years. I am hoping I am suddenly just bad at finding them but I don't feel like getting shot during turkey season going on people's property either. Any input is appreciated!