Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a quick stroll after work and found six.Small (average inch and a half)but already drying out so I picked 'em.All in a very small grassy patch with a touch of moisture remaining.Need rain.Gotta go.Talk later!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats! This is my first spring in New York (originally from Missouri), any advice on when I can expect to find morels in the upstate? (Watertown area) We are getting some much needed rain this weekend. Wondering if I should try looking now or just wait till after the rains. I know, I know...it's never too early to start looking but I'm trying to make best use of the limited time I have available to spend in the woods.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the help Spongesbob! It's hard in a new area with the constant battle in my mind between "Am I looking in the wrong area?" or "Am I just too early?" But either way a day in the woods is always fun despite the outcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went out a last two days in a row. They just ain't up. May 15 to the 30 last year was prime time for them so we have some time left thank goodness. I have been looking through o ld posts from last year to reference a good time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I contacted Ft Drum Fish and Wildlife and got this response...

"I can tell you that our botanist keeps tabs on plants, and when they start appearing and she commented that they are not coming up yet. I will give more information about when they show up when I hear about it."

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm getting anxious. I have my little morel hunting partner in training. She actually loves the woods, until she gets stuck under a log. But I enjoyed it long enough to snap a picture.

I'll post here if I get any updates from Ft Drum Fish and Wildlife.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lol like the pic. I took my little guy for his first time this year back in Indiana. It was a success he actually found one. I'm getting pretty antsy myself. undergrowth ain't right yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Went out in Northern Columbia County in the Hudson River Valley & found 50 blacks in one spot that has always been productive for yellows. Tough to spot & the dryness is an issue. The undergrowth looks like things should be further along , but we need rain for a good flush. The season seems in jeopardy at this point although hunting shady areas with lots of leaf cover on the deck may be productive. Found lots of smaller dryer blacks & one 6-7 in. Took most of them as they were drying out so quickly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I lived in Northeast Iowa for about 7 years and did a TON of morel hunting out there...I now feel I have been spoiled central NY is lacking in elm trees due to dutch elms disease among other things. However; I went out today on a 3 hour hike saw that in certain spots may apples are about a foot tall. the ground is bone dry we desperatly need rain but ground temps seem to be right where they need to be. I expect a decent flush if we get the rain they call for this weekend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hear ya there. Last year it was good for morels here. I found plenty for sure but that was around the 15th of may. So I'm not losing hope just yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whats "plenty" considered here if you don't mind me asking? In the midwest it was common for me to have 70-100lb seasons. last year here was my first season in NY I found 4lbs. Only 3 trees in total that had them.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts