They DO Exist

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by coloradomushiemaster, May 31, 2014.

1. coloradomushiemaster

coloradomushiemaster Morel Enthusiast

I've heard for years, I've read and researched. More than most tout an extreme rarity of Colorado mountain morels. The nay-sayers are abundant, "you'll never find enough morels in Colorado for a meal," and "I've found 10 morels in as many years here."

So what's up with the lack of use on the Colorado board? Are people really not finding them? Or are we just so secretive that we won't even reveal when they're surely up?

I believe in the sharing of resources and knowledge for mutual gain ..... so I'll be the one. Morels are up in Colorado! !! I've pulled 7.5 pounds out of a wet valley around 8200-9000 feet in the last 2 days. I've probably left and crumbled another 2 pounds of dried out/old morels. That kills me. If you have property in a wet valley, and you don't want to or can't hunt it, please contact me, I'd love to hunt it. If you doubt the existence yourself on your own land, now is the time to go take a look. I've never seen abundance like this in Colorado, but maybe I'm just still inexperienced :) [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

mountain master. Nice looking morels. I live back in MO. and just love to hunt those suckers, but our season is long over in the midwest. NO one ever posts much from Col. so its Nice to see someone likes to pick morels. Do you know if it was a burned area you picked in? You sound as if there are many more there to pick. What part of Col. are in if you don't mind sharing? I always figured there had to morels out there somewhere as I drove through the state over the years.

3. morelseeker

morelseeker Morel Connoisseur

Hi, I have cousins that live near Pueblo and Colorado Springs. My brother lives in Olathe. From what I've read you can find you can find morels from May through July. There are micro-climates in areas of the mountains where the snow melts late and can cause the morels to fruit as late as July. In Colorado it also depends on the elevation. Hunt lower elevations early then go higher as the morels begin to taper off at the lower elevations. With all of those fires in Colorado there ought to have been an abundance of morels in the burn areas, as long as there was rain when it was time for fruiting. I;ve been wanting to try out there but I have too many places here in Ohio, Michigan and Minnesota. I also try each year to find new areas to find them. This year I found them is some woods near Detroit,Mi. that I never tried before.

4. morelseeker

To Mountainmushie,
    I noticed in the area of Mount Antero a lot of stands of aspen trees. Back east in Michigan since all of the ash trees are dead I'm going back to the old reliable aspen tree to find my morels. In the east they also grow around big sugar bush maple trees, elm trees which there are very few of,sycamore trees, apple trees, wild cherry trees. Ash was one of the best trees though since there aren't many elms. I also read that out west in lower elevations the morels fruit near cottonwood trees along rivers or creeks. I've also found them in around cedars and wild pine trees that are in mixed hardwood forests. When they had those big fires in Yellowstone National Park people were hauling the morels out by the truck load.

5. morelseeker

To Mountainmushiemaster Do you ever get on this website to interact? I have cousins and my brother living in Colorado and I'm sure they would like to go on a hunt with you or just chat on this board. I don't know if I would ever come out to hunt morels in Co. since they come on the same time of the year I find them here in Ky., Oh., Mn. and Mi.