Thoughts and predictions for 2017

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by shroom god, Nov 8, 2016.

1. manleyman

manleyman Morel Enthusiast

We are getting plenty of rain here was out of town for a few days this week, but found 6 lbs last weekend, is this cold windy weather going to kill everything in the SW ?

2. chrigs

chrigs Morel Enthusiast

i'm really jealose of you guys that got on them, things were just getting going in sioux city area, which means another week or so for me, then the cold front-we bottomed out at 28-f on Thurs. soil temps back into the 40s, this cant be good- any thoughts on freezing temps right befor the 1st pop?

1 person likes this.

3. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Hey Chrigs, stay positive and focused on the days ahead. It seems that Nature has its own way of working--and that work is often quite nuanced. Its twists and turns confound and torment those of us who desire regularity and predictability, but we have no choice but to remain patient. One thing is certain--as sure as the flowers bloom and the trees bear leaves, the shrooms will come. Be ready; it will happen. Good luck when it does.

4. shroom god

The SW was nearing the end of the season; flushed about 2 weeks ago, so peak season is just past. There's still some to be had, and stragglers will persist for a few weeks. Never know, but you might stumble on to a patch of giants that are within a few days of crumbling. 6 pounds is a good haul for last weekend. Eat 'em all?

5. manleyman

Gave half to the professional that took me out and gave 2-2 1/2 lbs away for good morel karma to friends and neighbors

6. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Connoisseur

20170426_104532.jpg
    Finding a few in the Sioux City area, hunted in the rain, found some, hunted in the cold, found some, hunted in the wind, found some, but I refuse to hunt in the snow, soil temps in the 56 degree range before the last storm hit, I'll give it a few days and try again

7. huntergatherer

20170501_073849.jpg
    Still snowing

Attached Files:

8. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

A little snow never hurts. Go pick them they are still there. You north of S. city?

9. Cam

Cam Morel Enthusiast

found 27 in the middle of ankeny today, fresh too..so I am hoping these next few warm days will produce good with all the rain we have had

10. huntergatherer

Yes, North of sux

11. iamorelmonster

iamorelmonster Morel Enthusiast

I live in Ankeny! leave some for the rest of us. I thought i scraped all the morels off my public spots but i may have to go back out.

12. StumpJumper89

StumpJumper89 Young Morel

Picked 12 1/2 pounds in council bluffs yesterday all big and super fresh... the season ain't done you just gotta get out there and find them...

13. shroom god

The woods along the English River in Washington County haven't yet given up on the season. Not great, but managed about 75 yesterday, ranging in condition from fresh to old and rusty and everything in between.

1 person likes this.
  14. StumpJumper89

StumpJumper89 Young Morel

Pickes 8 pounds yesterday and 7 pounds today in council bluffs! Everything im finding has all been fresh season is going great here, anyone else finding any

15. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Picked over 3# in 45 minutes by kids baseball field in polk county then went out later and found 1.6# in over two hours in my spots. I guess I'll go back to baseball woods tomorrow. Definitely moving to lower ground. Good year 4/13 to likely 5/13

16. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

IMG_1708.JPG I have a spot in polk county that I've been getting what I call black morels that grow in elm, hickory and a little oak. Found the area in the 80s. Here is a yellow and what I call a black found 5/7. The black isn't a gray. The inside is white and the outside is a purplish black. Gray's don't get that white inside and these are super tasty almost sweet. Anyone know the species or seen them growing around here

Attached Files:

17. kb st.joe.mo

kb st.joe.mo Morel Enthusiast

stump, nice hauls. many others have quit looking.. You getting those in bottoms or hills. The ground cover is keeping them from the sun and the rain quitting helped them not rot. I got over #25 north of you on Wed and Sat. Hope to go north again on Tues. Would have gone today again but the wife said it was flower planting day. I know there is something in the constitution saying that is just wrong. Fun Gus, i would call that an extremely dark grey. I usually find those in real shady protected areas. Usually have a real strong earthy smell.

18. twisted minds

twisted minds Morel Connoisseur

image.jpeg
    That does look like a gray, blacks are usually done before gray's and yellow's show up. Here's a good picture of one of the black's I found April 19th this year in La Crosse County, WI.

19. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

20. manleyman

Found 7 nice size yellow SW iowa on Fri after work in deep grass little dry on outside, but made a great mess with mushroom omelette this morning. Got over 83 here today so I think I better go north if I am going to get anymore. Are they still out up by Sioux city?

Attached Files: