1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Season's End?

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by shroom god, May 21, 2014.

1. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

At season’s end I always pause for reflection. Such good fortune to have been able to once again meld with the earth and revive my soul amid the springtime wonders of nature. The vivid mental impress of the season's experiences will sustain me through the coming year: the welcome feel of the soft forest loam beneath my feet and its fertile smell upon the air; the sounds and sights of the scarlet tanager, indigo bunting, oriole and yellow finch against nature’s greening canvas; the shriek of startled turkeys missiling through the air, the distant hoot of unseen owls, the screams of a nesting hawk; deer staring at this creature as he, motionless, stares back; jack-in-the-pulpit, bluebells, bellworts, violets, wild hyacinth, Dutchman’s –breeches, twinleaf, trillium--the much-maligned dandelion so exalted in its wild abode--and so very many things I know only by sight. So much to learn!

One forest mouse, a few rabbits, an occasional chipmunk, and squirrels galore!

And it now occurs to me that I encountered only one bee—a bumble—at least of which I am conscious.

Morels in the moss and beneath all forms of briars; a salute to the many that eluded me!

The renewal of nature and myself within it reaffirm my obligation to conserve and preserve this splendor. Indeed, it is part of a life’s good work to do what one can to ensure that people in a distant future, who we will never know, can experience the infinite pleasures of the wild. The joy that has enriched souls for countless centuries must remain timeless and perennial.

340 days…then it all begins anew. What are others feeling?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Nice haul of morels. Season's not over yet for me, hoping to get north at least once more. .Did see a scarlet tanager last Sat. Never seen an indigo though. Saw lots of owls this year.

3. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

I am feeling I should have taken speech class more serious. Well said brother, love the hunt, also love the wondering what plant is this, whats that.Every year learning a little more. Bonding with my 16 year old, marveling how light on his feet he is, remembering flashes of myself a long time ago. Some say obsessed, no passion. hey, MN still going. Love your posts, see ya.

4. fun gus

fun gus Morel Enthusiast

Shroom god nice thoughts, you've helped me enjoy reading these posts. I'm going to mn this weekend and will be too far north for a sizable haul, but I get to relive early season for a few hours with my kids in tow. They are too busy to enjoy my ritual very often so I'd rather be with them and nature and only find five in four hours than get 5# by myself( of course a full freezer and lots of recent skillet fulls helps). Family , friends, nature and passion is what life is at its best and bundling all of that together is heaven on earth or heaven on a prime May elm slope.
    Keep the passion my friend and the next 340 days will be awesome!

5. nabnab

nabnab Young Morel

Yeah shroomgod, I enjoy the scarlet tanagers, indigo buntings and orioles. I saw a pileated woodpecker last week and they are magnificent. I picked some ramps about a month ago and made a few dishes with them and pickled 3 half pints of them. I wasn't doing real well with my morel hunting until today. I found about 130 nice sized yellows and was very happy. We will eat a few tomorrow and the rest I will dry for future delicious recipes. I would love to see what Iowa looked like 150 years ago. I guess we are fortunate to still have the natural areas in our state that we do have.

6. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Beautiful post, shroom god. I found out tonight how over it is in my spot -- one pathetic-looking dried-out yellow. I don't remember being as bummed out at season's end as much as I am right now. Can't really put my finger on it but I'm pretty damned depresed. Such finality to something so transient it's almost as if they were never there at all. Walked by an area tonight that's been real good this year and in the past and I hardly recognized it it looked so different in just a week. Good to see some folks are extending their seasons by heading north. I've enjoyed the message board immensely. Thanks to all who shared their thoughts and experience.

7. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Yeah, spring morels are what I live to hunt. I can only extend the season so long by driving. SW you can get you some more good ones only going a 100 north at most.if you want one more rush. But I understand wanting to stop knowing you had some great hunts this year. A problem I struggle with every year. It takes about 2 weeks for me to get over it. Really thinking about hunting fall mushrooms this year also. It's my second favorite time of year.

8. shroomcrafter

shroomcrafter Morel Connoisseur

Shroom god, A very fine piece of writing. We shroomers live and breathe and identify with every word and phrase of your eloquent, articulate narrative! Really makes me appreciate, morels, nature, and nature's God. As I've become fond of saying, "Good job, God!"

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn Morel Enthusiast

This was the best worst season I've ever had. I learned a lot of valuable things about pride and expectation. I realized how blessed I am--at least in my native state--to have a great mix of private spots to hunt. They don't always produce at the same time, but I can always count on a good haul between them all. I had been taking that for granted, assuming that I'd always pick tons of shrooms no matter what. I moved to Iowa, had a great year last year, then had to really sit back this year and reconsider everything. Where I thought I'd guessed right, I was wrong. When I thought I was early, I was late. When I was damned sure--I was damned wrong. I am thankful my family got to eat some morels this year, and I was happy to see so many bees. I hadn't seen many of them the past couple years, so, even without finding a ton of mushrooms, the season was a success. Chanterelles aren't too far off, I found a good oyster tree, and a walk in the woods is never a failure. Even if you don't find exactly what you're looking for, you never leave with less than you entered with.

10. catfishjohn

And also, it was awesome to read all the posts on this message board. It seems like a lot of the die hards on here "get it", and that's refreshing. Hope everybody has a good summer and "in -between" season. I'll sure look forward to reading more next year.

11. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

catfish, not my best either, but not my worst. In fact I can't remember the last time I went a season without picking # 20 in one trip. On the other hand it was a long season and I picked many close to home for a change. I also got to have a couple of more hunts with my dad that I would not trade for picking a thousand pounds.

12. catfishjohn

kb, glad to hear you got to go picking with your old man. That's what it's all about, mega haul or not. I do want ask though, what's been your worst season? Did you ever have a season where--in spite of knowing your way around, and knowing there were shrooms to be had--you just flat got whipped? That's what this season was like for me, and I needed it to be. I got cocky, almost to the point of bragging, and I think the shroom gods rightly punished me for it.

13. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

catfish, I felt whipped on several occasions this year, in places I should have been killing them. Honestly though, driving to pick 500 miles of diff. latitude makes it hard to complain about not picking enough. I was so spoiled from last year it took me several trips to get past not getting easy boxes full, and settle for what was there. Some of the best pickers I know found this year frustrating at times. I think many of us got a little cocky kicked out of us at some point this season. Heck if it was always easy there would be no fun or value to it. I basically started driving to avoid the years when the weather screws things up or my regular spots suck. Somebody always has morels somewhere. Hard to pack up the gear for the year.

14. shroom god

Agreed, it was a spotty season. I did decent, but it required 10 days of 7-8 hours-a-day of intensive hunting. I got skunked one day in spite of driving 75 miles and hitting three areas that had been prime last year. That was frustrating. My sticks are retired for another season, once-again leaning in the corner of my room. I miss the woods, and I'll get back there soon enough...but the crappie and bluegill fishing has kept me occupied. I learned of an excellent repellent: <strong>Bug Soother</strong>, all-natural, made in Columbus Junction, IA. I'm amazed by it. Hope you all make the transition to summer's fun.

15. catfishjohn

Bug Soother? Does it work on gnats and ticks? Is it tea tree oil? I guess I can just go get some and find out. Have a good summer everybody. I'll look forward to reading about the exploits next year.

16. themushroomman22

themushroomman22 Morel Enthusiast

Still hittin bug yellows.. and pure vanilla works for the gnats!

17. shroomtrooper

shroom god you should plan a trip to northern MN and look for blacks, totally different. Rupert would probably help you, its way different. love your passion.

18. shroom god

ey there, shroomtrooper, yeah, the lure of the north was pullin' me in a powerful way. Maybe next season I'll need to go. This one fulfilled me just enough to keep me in place--although not without some yearning to continue. I listened to nature's inner impulse and it convinced me to stay. Channeling all intensity into fishing, I still can't feel what I felt when deep in the woods amid a patch. You know what I mean. I might need to go north next year to sustain that spirit.

19. shroomtrooper

I grouse hunt so I have always had a love for the north woods, especially when there is soooo much public land. I just went for blacks first time this year, fun for me. But if you expect big hauls, I would stick with fishing, which there is a lot of up there. Huh, could do both. But it seems you do great where you are and it would just be the new experience for you that would bring you up.I would go again, would love to hook up with some of the northern boys, not to show us there spots but help me in my area, which I found a few, but was a little early. Timing real important up there, MN mushroom forum and rupert on this site helped me out. Nothing better than being in a patch I agree. If you ever have the urge, give me a shout, probably would go up. Would be a haul for you, but fun.

20. shroomtrooper

I cant let the season end, signed up for a mushroom course that will show me how to positively ID chantrelle, lobster and hedgehog mushrooms. And chickens and hen of woods. Nope not stopping this year.