Thoughts on Season's End?

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by shroom god, May 21, 2014.

1. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

shroomtrooper, how much the course cost? I was thinking of hunting other wilds.

2. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

$50.00. 3 hour course

3. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Prairie States Mushroom Club
    125 Timber Lane
    I don't know how far you guys are from this Mushroom Hunting Club. but you will pay less for fifty times the knowledge. At least contact them cause there may be other clubs that aren't listed here. This is a listing off NAMA ( North American Mycological Association )

Robins, IA 52328-9632
    Phone: 319-573-4795
    Web: www.iowamushroom.org/
    Email: iowamushroom [at] gmail.com
    President: Glen Schwartz
    Member since 1983 | Club Trustee: Roger Heidt

4. shroomtrooper

Went to the site, do they even charge? They didn't list classes but they did list forays. I live in MN so its too far for me but for any Iowans, it looks great. I have been watching videos of the different mushrooms for years now, so I just need a expert to answer my questions and give me that confidence I need. I don't know about 50 times the knowledge, this guy is a mycologist and has a business cultivating mushrooms and selling to the top restaurants in MN. Does a lot of forays too and you tube videos, Mikeology.

5. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

OK, I was going to say you must be talking about Mike from the Mikeology Store. He has Forays all Spring, Summer and Fall. We may hook up for a hunt somewhere in the UP this year. It'd be about a half way point for both of us. I thought you were maybe talking about someone else that knows a few mushrooms and wants to make some quick money. I won't say his & her names.

6. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

I never gave serious thought to forays with a club. You guys have given me something to seriously think about. Sounds like a lot of fun--and it will keep me in the woods! On another matter, here's a strange twist: My dad couldn't get out this year because he had some foot surgery. While at one of his appointments we were talking about mushrooming when his podiatrist entered the room and joined in the conversation. Come to find out, the guy's father (a native Iowan and Grinnel graduate) is a world-class mycologist in Hawaii. I did a web search on him and learned he's a former president of the American Mycological Society! What a year it's been.

7. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

oh--Don Hemmes is the name.

8. shroomtrooper

Wow, that's cool. Love to be a Mycologist in Hawaii. Forays sound fun also, we where talking a seminar I guess you would call it, 3 hours. Learning how to ID certain mushrooms and to know where to look at what time. Summer mushrooms. The way you communicate I would highly suggest you go to one. That Don Hemmes has had a great life so far, just imagine, from Iowa to Hawaii, to China giving speeches, wow. If I have the extra cash, I will go on a foray.

9. shroomtrooper

I went to a class on how to ID summer mushrooms like chantrelles, hedgehog, yellowfoot, lobsters. Morels are fun, great tasting nice hiking weather, but know I know the season has just begun. I would recommend studying online and going to a class. You do have to deal with the heat and bugs, I still wear long sleeves and long pants. Good luck to all.