Tick repelling strategies anyone?

Discussion in 'Connecticut' started by Morchella94, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Morchella94

Morchella94 Morel Enthusiast

Last year got two ticks attached and found several others found crawling on me after returning from the woods... Wondering if anyone has strategies for avoiding them or which brand of tick repellent works best for you. One technique I’ve heard is tucking pants into socks?

Happy hunting soon! I can barely wait for the trees to open up.

2. clutch2412

clutch2412 Morel Connoisseur

Morchella. Did not see this thread. Sawyers Permethrin. Haven't seen a tick in years. And believe you me...I used to get ticks everywhere! Manly everywhere that is!! Permethrin is a must. Really works.

2 people like this.

3. meekmorel

meekmorel Morel Enthusiast

Permethrin is the only thing to use. you can find it at some stores and also on Amazon for cheap. Treat your clothes and shoes and it lasts for about 6 weeks,I dont get ticks at all anymore.The places I hunt I was always covered so it works great.

2 people like this.
  4. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

Try it, you WILL Like it. I also use Picaridin spray.

Attached Files:

• Bug.jpg
      Bug.jpg
      File size:
      747.5 KB
      Views:
    2 people like this.
  5. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I agree! Use both! Permethrin is made to be sprayed on clothing and allowed to dry. DO NOT spray it on yourself, or your clothing while you are wearing it! Read the damn instructions! You CAN spray the Picaradin based spray on exposed skin while you're out there hunting. I use both, and haven't seen a tick yet this year!

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Blue foot

Blue foot Morel Enthusiast

I sprayed my clothes with permerthrin with my garden sprayer. I don't recommend using the sprayer, doesn't atomize enough and drenches clothes. Anyway, ticks still crawl on me. Tick tornado works great for removal of attached ticks! Found one all black with white spot on its back. Lye soap does help and eating garlic:)

7. Inthewild

Sorry I don't let BAD information go on these forums without rebuttal. I know everybody has their opinions, but i can assure you 1000 to 1 people use Sawyers Permethrin will have no issues when applied correctly.

8. clutch2412

And I 100% agree. It is the real deal. Ticks don't even cross my mind when I'm crawling through thickets. Have not seen a tick in years. Except wobbly, disoriented, ready to die son of a guns!!

9. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

Sawyers is too expensive. Tractor supply sells a permethrin concentrate. I think it’s by Gordon’s.
    I run dogs year round, turkey hunt, deer hunt, bowfish banks, and of course mushroom hunt.
    If that was sprayed on my clothes or my dogs (theres a recipe) I haven’t found one tick in years. On the contrary days I quick run in without it leaves me digging ticks out.
    It’s in the horse section and you dilute it w water. It works.
    Be honest w sawyers it worked mostly. I did find a couple though, not so with the tractor supply stuff

10. Inthewild

@Bowguy, Sorry to preach Sawyers, but it is what WORKS for me and others. As long as someone is using permethrin, I believe you really CAN'T go wrong. Someday they might fight the Lymes disease battle. I really hope that doesn't happen by simple use of my soap box comments. Thanks for your input.

11. clutch2412

Hey bowguy. I use the Sawyers because that is the only thing I can buy in Ct. And it works extremely well for me. I tried buying concentrate and do the soak your clothes thing...nobody ships it to Ct. It is definitely cheaper buying the concentrate. I may have to take a drive to a surrounding state. Thanks for your input as well.

12. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

I bought some concentrate to mix for my garden and secondly I thought, to replace the Sawyers. Figured I could up the concentration when I dilute it from the concentrate.

Turned out I bought pyrethrin instead of permethrin (Sawyers).

Pyrethrin is the natural extract and permethrin is a chemical analogue that is more resistant to UV light and therefore lasts longer on clothes.

For gardening the pyrethrin concentrate has another chemical added to it that increases its' effectiveness by making it more absorbent by insects.

So, not sure now if I'm going to spray my clothes with it. At the concentrate cost it was going to cut my cost to 1/15th, or so, similar to what it was going to do for the garden insect spray cost.

13. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

Ah that stinks. Hope you’re close. It’s def permethrin just FYI

1 person likes this.
  14. clutch2412

I was beyond excited ordering the concentrate this past Winter. Then I received an email saying they can't send it to Ct! If anyone in NY sees this...let me know if they sell the concentrate at a Tractor Supply or Agway or something like that. Thank you.

15. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

Why don’t ya call one of the stores if they’re close n ask em? It’d be in the livestock/horse section most likely

1 person likes this.
  16. clutch2412

Yeah. Will do. Even better. When I'm driving through NY from county to county looking for these darn mushrooms...stop for a second and ask! Haha. Freaking addiction.

17. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

Funny.

1 person likes this.