Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first year that the wife and I have been out hunting and on every trip so far we have have returned with at least a couple ticks crawling on us and i've been lucky enough to get a few dug into me. So beyond 100% deet, care to share any tips or tricks to keep the evil little parasites off of us? The wife is getting squeamish about it all and I really want to continue our scouts and hunts.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
"Mox911" Honestly the only thing I've found effective is PERMETHRIN" , as you've already found out ya still get ticks with DEET. Deet is only marginally effective in my experience. you can see the stuff will last up to 6 washes, which in our case means 6 years. Ha Ha , we wear the same clothes hunting all year,& just hang them in the garadge between outings. It's best to get right outta your clothes when you get home from hunting too. ]//i.imgur.com/pOg81rl.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
418 Posts
I second Permethrin. Fist time I used it I was driving and I looked down and saw a tick crawling on my leg, looked down seconds later and it was dead. OldElm I might be a little smelly when we meet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have pants on my legs. I wear pants, long socks, long sleeve shirt, hat and I permethrin all, inside of pants sock length, heavy around seams,hat everything. Zero ticks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
same here, permethrin's the only stuff that really works now. I keep my outdoor clothing once dry, inside a trash bag. Have them in the truck ready to go.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ya don't let the cat lick you unless you don't like cats! It's like agent orange in a can but it works! Don't RUB your muscles on your pants. Try wearing rubber knee highs too. The little eastwards have a hard time hanging on! Doing great with the blacks up here! The just keep popping:) every other day another 30-40...Can't wait till next week should be good moreling!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Troop there out. Been a great time with early blacks! Going out to pick some more today! We get a little heat in a few days with this 2 inches of rain and hang on to your shorts it's gonna get tick out Der! Could see my breath outside yesterday morning!!! And still pick in them beauties:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just make sure to check your body after you get home, or have a family member help check. The nymph ticks are so tiny you might never find them. My fiancee got a call from her doc at 6 pm last night, told her she is positive for anaplasmosis. I spend more time in the woods than her, and for the last 3 years, I have been getting all sorts of neurological problems and bowel issues. I go in to get tested today for full-spectrum tick borne illnesses. Just because you don't see them on your clothes, doesn't mean they haven't gotten to you. My fiancee is really suffering from the illness, and I'd hate for anyone of you guys to get something. Remember, tick protection isn't 100% prevention, and Wisconsin is highly endemic to Lyme, Babesia, Anaplasmosis, and a bunch of other nasty bugs. I'm not trying to scare anyone, believe me, I will be hitting the woods yet, but taking more precautions and doing closer inspection afterwards. Take care and happy hunting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had great luck with Permathin, but I still spray around my cuffs, waist line, neck, any exposed skin or possible places where a tick could burrow in with DEET. DEET does work. There are times when I have not had Permathrin treated clothes available, but you have to put it on a lot heavier than you think. Couple years ago, early season turkey hunting, it was pretty cold and I didn't think ticks would be an issue. They were. Next day my buddy and I used DEET. He sprayed it on like you would for mosquitos; I put it on heavy. At the end of the day, he had 4 tick on him, but I didn't have any.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Good point "murdy "' THX'z & enjoy the gift of being out there in the peace & serenity of the woods.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts