Time to check your early black spots in Kentucky.

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by ricard76, Apr 4, 2015.

1. ricard76

ricard76 Morel Connoisseur

My wife, a friend and I checked on a few of our early producing black patches today in Hart county. We found 20-25 small tan black models and picked 9 of those. We'll get back in there later this coming week after they have had time to get bigger and allow more to pop. My brother said he found 2 small blacks in Jefferson county. Watch where you place your step because they are really small and hard to see.

2. ricard76

My wife and I found 12 2-4 inch blacks in Jefferson county the past 2 days. Some on the edge of a gravel lane and others on the east side of a poplar ridge crest.

3. ricard76

Picked another 15 today in the same areas we picked earlier this week. Most were between 3-5 inches.

4. ricard76

Picking is prime in south central Ky right now. We picked 162 total Friday and Saturday. All blacks except for 2 half frees, 1 little grey and 3 little whites. The woods haven't greened up as much as I would have expected for this time of year but our patches are producing well.

5. mattyp17

mattyp17 Morel Enthusiast

Reading from Southwest Ohio with a lot of envy! Congrats on the nice finds, I hope to follow suit later this week

6. dr_ more l_ mushrooms

dr_ more l_ mushrooms Young Morel

Went out looking yesterday for the first time this season in Jefferson County (Louisville KY) and found about 6 nice blacks and 1 half-free morel. Found them in the woods, on the ground, growing a few feet away right from the old Pepsi cans I found and used to mark the spot where they come up every year along I-64.

7. ricard76

Picked another 69 this past weekend in Hart county. The blacks are all but finished in that part of the state. Started finding some small yellow, greys and whites but I was surprised to find some of those patches were hardly producing. My log from last year showed these patches produced heavily around 4/26 so I'm hoping today's rain will bring them on.