Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Time to check your early black spots in Kentucky.

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ricard76 
#1 ·
My wife, a friend and I checked on a few of our early producing black patches today in Hart county. We found 20-25 small tan black models and picked 9 of those. We'll get back in there later this coming week after they have had time to get bigger and allow more to pop. My brother said he found 2 small blacks in Jefferson county. Watch where you place your step because they are really small and hard to see.

#4 ·
Picking is prime in south central Ky right now. We picked 162 total Friday and Saturday. All blacks except for 2 half frees, 1 little grey and 3 little whites. The woods haven't greened up as much as I would have expected for this time of year but our patches are producing well.

#6 ·
Went out looking yesterday for the first time this season in Jefferson County (Louisville KY) and found about 6 nice blacks and 1 half-free morel. Found them in the woods, on the ground, growing a few feet away right from the old Pepsi cans I found and used to mark the spot where they come up every year along I-64.

#7 ·
Picked another 69 this past weekend in Hart county. The blacks are all but finished in that part of the state. Started finding some small yellow, greys and whites but I was surprised to find some of those patches were hardly producing. My log from last year showed these patches produced heavily around 4/26 so I'm hoping today's rain will bring them on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.