Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always soaked my fresh morels in salt water, but I know a lot of people are against it. If you don't soak them, how do you get all the little buggers and dirt out? Or do you assume they are ok to eat when cooked?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I only use water and ice! I think salt makes them a little soggy, where ice keeps them crisp. Be sure to keep them completely submerged for 24 hrs. Rinse and enjoy! Happy hunting to all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
They are ok to eat raw, the soaking is only for bugs,,, I get the big one out, snails, slugs, and rolly pollies and any other varmit... soak them while cleaning and the only thing left is the gray mushroom pepper size bugs.... you keep the wild taste and then cook.... the overnight soaking only gets out the little grey bugs and the water turns brown with lost flavor....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I was always told to soak them over night to kill all the bugs and that is what I used to do. However, I never liked how mushy they turned after soaking for so long, not to mention the loss of flavor. Now I usually just wash them off really well and dip them in a bowl of water for a few minutes to make sure any ants or larger bugs are gone. Then I cook them right away. As long as you're going to cook them, why make them mushy or risk losing the flavor by soaking them? If I'm not going to cook them right away, I usually just rinse and freeze. A few tiny bugs you can't even see won't hurt you, especially if you cook them. I figure it can't be much different than the mushrooms or vegetables you get from the store. People don't usually soak those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Raw 8-O??? ugh! LOL You shouldn't eat them raw! But anyways.... I've always soaked mine in cold salty water, placing a plate over the top to keep them submerged in the water. I keep them way in the back of the frig where it seems to be the coldest; allowing them to soak overnight. Rinse them in cold running water the next day. They have always been nice and plump -no soggies! With my extras, I do the same thing, laying them out in a single layer on baking sheets and slipping them in the freezer. Once frozen I put them in freezer ziplock bags and have them throughout the year - Delicious!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
You NEVER should eat raw wild mushrooms. They carry bacteria that can make you very ill. All mushrooms have an enzime that can be hard to digest, scientists say no mushrooms should be eatten raw but store bought button mushrooms are grown in such a sterile substraight that usually they will do no harm. As for soaking; SCIENCE has proven that the mushrooms start to degrade at a cellular leval when soaked. They should only be "cleaned" just before cooking. To get the critters out, first...cut your mushrooms to pick them (do not pull them out of the ground or twist them off their stems)and get rid of any obvious bugs. Next, carry them in a mesh bag. As they start to dry out on the surface they spread spore and the little critters start to go away. Details are in my book "Morel Hunting". Put your fresh catch in a paper sack in the refrigerater. The bugs will go into hybernation. Only clean the ones you want to eat right away. Submerse them in water and the bugs will pour right out. You will never get rid of all of them and you will render them harmless to you in the cooking process. But now you will have the best morels you ever ate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I belive that soaking is not necassary, it removes much of the earthness from them, which is what I like. A quick rinse after they are cut and JUST before cooking is all that I do, if they are nice fresh ones that have not had any mud splashed on them I don't even wash.
Buyers will never purchase soaked morels-it speeds the detearition process and your morel will not hold in good shape as long as mushrooms that are picked into paper sacks and put into the fridge, they will hold fresh for 2 weeks. If at that point you decide to process them for storage they are already partly dried.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
My boyfriend and i have been selling almost all of them presoaked. One person told me thst wasnt normal so i googled it and it led me to this string. Lol on a forum im already a member of :) ive just been following suit of what my boyfriend's always done. I should have known better. I'll bring all this up to his attention.


I belive that soaking is not necassary, it removes much of the earthness from them, which is what I like. A quick rinse after they are cut and JUST before cooking is all that I do, if they are nice fresh ones that have not had any mud splashed on them I don't even wash.
Buyers will never purchase soaked morels-it speeds the detearition process and your morel will not hold in good shape as long as mushrooms that are picked into paper sacks and put into the fridge, they will hold fresh for 2 weeks. If at that point you decide to process them for storage they are already partly dried.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
266 Posts
I couldn't resist putting in my 2 cents! I've been hunting and eating them for many years and I slice them lengthwise, put them in a bowl of water and hand swish them a little then soak for about 5 minutes and take them out and pat them dry with paper towels. Even after laying there for an hour before I cook them I have never seen any additional critters come out. They still taste fresh and "crisp"!
The bottom line is: just use water, no salt; it extracts too much out of them, especially for a 6 or 8 hour stretch. We soak deer liver and heart in salt water, but that's to get all the blood and "stuff" pulled out of the meat. I've hunted mushrooms out here in CA for over 20 years and these threads were a first for me hearing about the salt. To each their own though! As long as you like the end result, that's all that really matters! Happy Shroomin....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
266 Posts
I couldn't resist putting in my 2 cents! I've been hunting and eating them for many years and I slice them lengthwise, put them in a bowl of water and hand swish them a little then soak for about 5 minutes and take them out and pat them dry with paper towels. Even after laying there for an hour before I cook them I have never seen any additional critters come out. They still taste fresh and "crisp"!
The bottom line is: just use water, no salt; it extracts too much out of them, especially for a 6 or 8 hour stretch. We soak deer liver and heart in salt water, but that's to get all the blood and "stuff" pulled out of the meat. I've hunted mushrooms out here in CA for over 20 years and these threads were a first for me hearing about the salt. To each their own though! As long as you like the end result, that's all that really matters! Happy Shroomin....
P.S.....out here we dry our Morels instead of freezing them. They re-hydrate excellent and some people say the flavor is even a bit better afterwards! FYI.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
266 Posts
My boyfriend and i have been selling almost all of them presoaked. One person told me thst wasnt normal so i googled it and it led me to this string. Lol on a forum im already a member of :) ive just been following suit of what my boyfriend's always done. I should have known better. I'll bring all this up to his attention.
(Personally, I would never buy pre-soaked mushrooms! Of course I hunt my own, not buy, but just sayin'......!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
I clean mine in salt water with some Garlic powder. Garlic really drives out the bugs. Switch them around a few minutes then into a strainer to dry. Headed for a pizza!
 

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top