Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up to 70 today and I couldn't stand it. Loaded up the boat and my lovely wife and we went straight to the area where we found morels last year. Took some soil temp readings: 56-57 F and I figured we were early but it was a nice evening wandering around with my wife in the woods. Did find a tremendous pile of scat which is too big for any known animal in these parts. Got pics and a sample. Can you say - Sasquatch?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would guess a bear. I found a fresh pile one summer day, while walking, north of Helen in the Natl. Forest. A few moments after we spotted it, we heard some kind of huge animal lumbering wildly down the side of the ridge we were on top of, it was running to get away from us. I am certain it was a bear. The pile was about as big around as a dinner plate. The animal had been turning big rocks over, that were lodged in the moss on the roadway we were on, like the pages of a book, looking for bugs underneath them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the same. We have the occasional bear wandering through but the local DNR Biologist said he is certain it is hog, BIG hog. I've caught 200+ pounders and their pile ain't nothing like this one. Can you say smoked sausage? Going out Monday, will post any positive finds.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I thought the same. We have the occasional bear wandering through but the local DNR Biologist said he is certain it is hog, BIG hog. I've caught 200+ pounders and their pile ain't nothing like this one. Can you say smoked sausage? Going out Monday, will post any positive finds.
Yes, the pile I saw in N Ga. was a large spiral, continuous, and alarmingly big. It was very fresh, wet, flies all over it. The animal we heard lumbering away was making that kind of ba-doomp-ba-doomp-ba-doomp sound that a bear would make, not the kind of noise a pig would create.

·
Registered
81 Posts
And by the way, someone on the AL facebook mushroom page just posted a photo of a clump of 3 morels they claim were picked TODAY. I'm waiting for them to say what county it was.

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Myself and @T tom were Believing Yall would begin finding on the 21st which is also Tom's Birthday... We and also @finderoftheshrooms were talking about coming down to Augusta soon as we Confirmed Solid Reports of Findings.
but now you may have Read , that finder fell on ice and Broke both of His Wrists Sunday night.. Good news is he should be Healed by mid April and that's right on time for our Own Home Areas we Hunt.
but looks like we won't be in the Woods with Yall down there this year...
Still; we will be Watching and Hunting with you Online here...
Give it all you got !! let's Enjoy !!
Thank You from Wade

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi y'all, new to the forum. Not new to morels. Soil temperatures in my area(Cobb) are looking like mid 50's with no fruits present at my early spots. Going out tomorrow to check another. Looking forward to a safe and bountiful season with everyone.

F

·
0 Posts
Myself and @T tom were Believing Yall would begin finding on the 21st which is also Tom's Birthday... We and also @finderoftheshrooms were talking about coming down to Augusta soon as we Confirmed Solid Reports of Findings.
but now you may have Read , that finder fell on ice and Broke both of His Wrists Sunday night.. Good news is he should be Healed by mid April and that's right on time for our Own Home Areas we Hunt.
Thank You from Wade
A couple of broken wrists won't keep me out of the woods.. Im just not supposed to drive, but I can still navigate and swipe my debit card at a gas pump..

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
A couple of broken wrists won't keep me out of the woods.. Im just not supposed to drive, but I can still navigate and swipe my debit card at a gas pump..
Finder, love to see you dedication, I assume that even if you had broken both legs you would want Wade and I to drag you through the woods on something like a plastic toboggan sled with a six-pack in your lap. Mend quickly my friend.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You from Wade

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You from Wade
If ya'll decide to come "down" this way let me know. I'd like to meet you. If you don't want to meet up I understand.

·
Registered
238 Posts
:eek: I've had two already and my gang is already tired of me talkin' about the upcoming season. Funny that every year the dreams are so similar except the location changes. Now if my season would just pan out to see as many morels and in as prime condition as in my dreams. :- )

·
Registered
18 Posts
And by the way, someone on the AL facebook mushroom page just posted a photo of a clump of 3 morels they claim were picked TODAY. I'm waiting for them to say what county it was.
Take a closer look @eidolon :), there are six in the picture :) It was in Montgomery and another find yesterday by someone else around Birmingham. Game is on!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts