Too cold?

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by Bender, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Bender

Bender Morel Enthusiast

We are fairly new to hunting in Georgia around the Augusta area. I have found several spots that should have something but nothing ever shows up. My kids are starting to think I’m crazy because we never find anything. I’m wondering if it’s too early or too cold. Guidance please! Former Minnesota hunter.

2. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

If your from Minnesota change up your strategy look for different trees

mnhunter11 likes this.

3. Bender

Bender Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip! I have been focusing on poplars and ash rather than elm. I found some under a pear tree years ago but haven’t read anything that suggests that.

1 person likes this.
  4. stripernut

stripernut Morel Enthusiast

I'm in the Augusta area and also finding that "pickins is slim". Ifg you think the soil/trees/area is right in your experience don't give up yet keep checking. Also I've heard that morels are found in Georgia in conjunction with privet. Don't know if you had privet up north but we got it here.

5. pastorj

pastorj Morel Enthusiast

Here you go, first come first serve! There are morels in these areas listed. More importantly, this will give you an idea of the kind of woods you should be hunting here in Georgia. Good luck and please post any finds. help.PNG

6. stripernut

you are a most kind and generous person

7. Bender

Bender Morel Enthusiast

I’m not sure on the privet. I took a good look today and feel like the area I’ve been focusing on stays cooler. This morning there was frost in the area but the temp said it was in the 40s. As far as Privet I’m thinking bushy growth not a tree?

8. Bender

Bender Morel Enthusiast

That is very helpful! I’m not too far from there! Thanks for the tips!

9. stripernut

yes, privet can be a large bushy growth. It's invasive and tenacious. Small light green leaves and light colored bark.

10. erisACAB

erisACAB Young Morel

Oh man, I've been out Geocaching in that exact area, too bad I just left Augusta. Bummer.

11. Bender

Bender Morel Enthusiast

Checked it out but found no morels. I’ve been looking in Similar terrain so I guess I just need to zero in and keep checking.

12. moremorels

moremorels Young Morel

what's happening in ga ?

13. moremorels

moremorels Young Morel

I am finding a few!

14. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

Get out in Georgia now the season is in full force

mnhunter11 likes this.