Trading fishing spots for morel spots

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by akaminskifishing, May 5, 2015.

1. akaminskifishing

akaminskifishing Morel Enthusiast

I've been looking for morels for the last 3 years and haven't found a single one. I'm 18 now so I'm able to travel a bit to find them. I would be more than willing to trade fishing spots for morel locations. I have extensive knowledge on most lakes in south eastern Wisconsin and a many up north as well. If you can tell me exact spot for them I'll tell you my exact honey holes I fish and what baits will catch em. Or I'll trade general locations for general locations.

Thanks and have a great week,

Alex

2. freeflow581

freeflow581 Morel Enthusiast

18 with extensive fishing knowledge.....impressive

It just stared to rain here. Yay!

3. akaminskifishing

Don't let my age fool you. I've been fishing 100+ days per year since I was 7. Last summer I think there was only 6 days I didn't fish.

4. stcroix rob

stcroix rob Morel Connoisseur

Alex, I don't need any fishing spot's,and if I lived in your area,I'd show ya a few tricks in a heart beat. Good for you showing interest in shrooming,as it's something you can do the rest of your life. Like fishing ya just have to get out there,and keep on trying. The next 10 days should put you onto them if ya hit the woods. Get your self a Wis DNR trout regulation booklet,and look at all the trout creeks on the map for your area!! Plus they all have access for fishermen so you don't need permission. learn to look up to spot the dead Elm tree,and then circle out from them.When you spot the first one freeze,and don't move for at least 10 min. just stare and you'll see more and more of them. bring a 4' pointer stick too. Good luck.

5. akaminskifishing

OldElm- thank you for the tips sir. I appreciate it. I have the trout regs right in front of me. How do I know if the surrounding land is public or not? I know that it's legal to wade through any water but a good amount of the surrounding shoreline is private property that is not legal to enter.

6. stcroix rob

Alex, most trout streams have foot access, you can start with WPA's ( waterfowl production areas), county parks, county forests,state park's, road side's ect.... we spot allot of dead Elm's from the road. You can I.D Elm bark real quik by the cookie test. Get a piece and snap it in half, if it looks like one of those wafer cookies it's elm. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  7. stcroix rob

There's at least seven in here. [​IMG]

8. stcroix rob

Elm Bark.... [​IMG]

9. stcroix rob

ASH Bark, I don't do much with ASH in my areas! [​IMG]

10. stcroix rob

Go For It,make it fun Alex..... [​IMG]

11. akaminskifishing

Thank you! I really appreciate your help. I'm look forward to this coming weekend. I'll be sure to let you know how I do. Thank you again, I wish you the best of luck this coming season and stay safe out there. It'll be slippery with all the rain we got.

12. morel rat

morel rat Morel Connoisseur

@ Alex you just keep chasing them Dead Elms and you find what you have been looking for!!!
    Good Luck my friend!

13. akaminskifishing

Thank you. This website is an awesome resource but does any one know of a book that they could recommend?

14. morel rat

@ Alex. I have a friend that wrote a book on Morel hunting and other mushrooms,
    book name is Morel Mushroom Hunting Secretes written by Chris Matherly
    he has been hunting Morels since the age of 5 and now is 50 so he has lots of expierence
    maybe you should join one of his Forays. you can check out his Forum

Link>>> http://www.morelmushroomhunting.com/fullspeed.htm

He is on Nat Geo for the second season show called Filthy Riches they just started the Second Season a couple days ago..
    If you have any more questions feel free to ask
    Good Luck!

15. morel rat

Chris will be in Winona doing a Foray
    May 11th, 12th, 13th, 2015

I have been to 3 of his Forays. a little Expensive but well worth it. he cooks for you. man it's out of this world very Yum
    He has a Cook book also and working on a second one...

16. freeflow581

freeflow581 Morel Enthusiast

The right stage of dying elm is my source. Higher probability of morels under elms that dtill have trunk bark intact, but seperating from upper branches

Right conditions are here