Tresspassing Protocol: Getting Caught

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by shroom god, May 2, 2016.

1. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

I reckon getting caught trespassing, whether posted or not--is something most serious shroomers can identify with. There's something about the allure of those vase-like twigs of a dead elm reaching to the sky--calling you--that we all find irresistible. Or maybe it's just the thought of what might lie deep in virgin timber--perhaps that mythical mother lode--that propels us forward to those forbidden places<strong> POSTED No Trespassing</strong>. You know those places better than you should.

Today I trespassed (again). This is certainly not the first time I've done so this season. For those of you who also do so frequently or on occasion, and who get caught, I offer the following story as possible "protocol" for turning a potentially bad situation in your favor.

So...seeking upland timber which hadn't seen foot or stick, I headed west to the county line, out into the country, and to a tract of timber owned by a friend (and heirs) who passed away about 10 years ago. We'd gone back in there when he was living, but I hadn't been there since 2005. It seemed time to revisit.

After nearly 3 hours of twisting and turning through a brambly hell, I literally stumbled upon about 25 shrooms under--of all things--a trifecta of dead cedars. Having picked them I meandered down a nearby path--and met THEM. "THEM" was my friend's son and his wife...who now owned the place. They had a sack of about 10...mine held closer to 30.

I introduced myself...a bit awkward...we chatted...I shared stories about his dad. His dad and I had rich times, fishing mainly, but none the less it was common ground.

Rule 1: SEEK COMMON GROUND. It was a very good "confrontation" so far as those go. At the end I laughed and remarked "I'm glad you aren't concealed carrying and POW POW POW shoot my ass." Bob laughed, reached to his waist band and hoisted up his shirt...GULP. Yeah, he was carrying. I laughed it off. So did they. The gun wasn't necessary.

RULE 2: EXHIBIT HUMILTY. I ate crow...I feigned ignorance, not knowing who owned the place and suggesting I was "grandfathered in" by virtue of my close friendship with his dad. Shared a few stories of our visits to that place...and offered them my mushrooms. I extended my arm in a gesture of conciliation and gratitude, "You should take these."

RULE 3: INSIST on KINDNESS. At first they refused. We chatted. I offered my mushrooms again..and they refused. We chatted more, and finally, upon the third try, I insisted "You really ought to take these, I want you to have them." They looked at each other and Patty wife relented.

RULE 4: FOLLOW UP. I invited Bob and Patty to my July 4th fish fry. I'll make sure they get a reminder call.

RULE 5 (pending): Have plenty of ice cold beer, deep fried crappie, and a special skillet or two of shrooms ready to seal the 2017 deal! Next year <em>HAS </em>to be better!

Not all interactions happen like this. Certainly this was among the easiest trespass encounters I've had. It would be fascinating to hear from others and how you have managed to deal with it.

:cool:

2. shroom god

Scenario 2.

So…you’re in this private timber that’s been “iffy” in terms of permission over years past. Hi and miss, depending on the mood. The old guy who owns it relies on neighbors to watch it. You’ve had enough of that game….and sneak in.

You park your vehicle a good distance away so as not to be too conspicuous. It looks like an abandoned Jeep sitting randomly aside a dirt road. You sneak back, fill a half a bag, then scurry back to the edge. On your way out you encounter the sheddings of a HUGE buck…massive…albeit gnawed and chewed by squirrels. You take them and head to the lazy sun in the west. Nature is lazy.

Despite Level B roads and a recently closed bridge (first spanned the river in 1883), you hear a vehicle. You hide… You peer through the trees at the tier’s edge…a gray Dodge pickup idles down the way–and stops. You place your mushrooms and the deer shed inside the cavity of the tree you’re hiding behind. Your heart races…you hope you can remain in hiding when this person gets out. ..and a minute passes.

The truck moves…you haul ass! Running like an Olympic sprinter you reach the Jeep, throw your shit in the back, start-up and haul some ass down the road. You pass the silver pickup slowly idling up the lane as you race east. You floor it.

Rule 1 of close call and escape in unfriendly territory: HAUL ASS as fast as you can.

There’s no rule 2, unless you get caught. Anyone in that situation, please enlighten.

3. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

Everyone that has played this game long enough has seen the slightly cracked bark of the elm from a mile away saying come get me. I once had permission from the renter of an old farmhouse on a nice patch of woods. That renter moved out but that didn't stop me. as I was filling a paper grocery bag with my 8 yr. old son, I heard my name on a loud speaker! I immediately knew this hunt was over. When I walked out of the woods, the DNR was called in and he had a bigger suv than I did as he had driven across hill and dale to get to the woods. He was pretty nice about it, as he admired what I had found. He called the landowner and told him we were only mushroom hunters then let us go. I was told once that Indiana has an law that says its not illegal to forage for food on property that is not posted. That's my rule and I'm sticking to it.

4. shroom god

CW, thanks for sharing that awesome account of a personal experience with this dilemma. As you so well expressed it, "Everyone that has played this game long enough has seen the slightly cracked bark of the elm from a mile away saying come get me."

Every single one of us relates to that.

I embrace the "Indiana rule" on foraging for food. I wonder...if such a law were passed in Iowa would there be a run on WalMart's black and orange "NO TRESSPASSING" signs?

I need to buy 3000 acres of prime upland hardwood timber, call it "Shroom Heaven," and let folks hunt. Actually...the morel hunting community should consider establishing these sorts of preserves. Go fund me... ya know?

5. highmark

highmark Morel Enthusiast

I guess I was always raised to simply ask for permission and if you don't obtain it stay out. I've worked very hard to obtain and maintain a piece of property and do get upset when I find trespassers. For the mushroom hunters that do it would you be ok with me walking into your garage and helping myself to a couple of beers? Yeah you can claim that's different but no its not. Its still trespassing and in my book theft. Sad the idea of this is acceptable on a "respectable" mushroom website.

You should change the title of your post to How to ask for forgiveness not permission.

6. highmark

The more people who read these types of posts the more they think its acceptable behavior. That's a dangerous example to set.

I'll even give you a example of why.
    Guy finds trespassers. Usually let people who stop and ask mushroom hunt. Get mad, stops letting anyone mushroom hunt. Trespassing hurts those who don't too.

7. almightymorel

almightymorel Morel Enthusiast

Shroomgod great story and yeah I'll help u fund that any day always wanted to buy a property near a morel hotspot! Highmore I agree I always ask or go on public land and yeah I went on one of my good buddy property and found only 3 grays and saw about 13 stems still in the ground I felt bad for the guy cuz he always looks forward to this year and other people ruined it for him still found him 14 and ate them all with him

8. deerhunter93

deerhunter93 Young Morel

I really hope you are joking about this. I wish the trespassing fines/charges were far larger than they are now, especially for people like you. It is PRIVATE property for a reason. If you want to be on it, ask the owner for permission. If they say no, move along or ask again later. This irritates the heck out of me!

9. fun gus

fun gus Morel Enthusiast

I hunt public and do fine. I'd never thought of trespassing. Once I followed a creek and was into private and did great but stopped when I saw a Morton building and realized. Tramplers and trolls are part of the deal on public. My 7# this year of all public is a bad year for me but for this weird year is fine. I don't understand littering or trespassing I just want to enjoy the bounty and spring in the woods. Respect and enjoy.

10. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Enthusiast

this was a new one for me, i"m camped in the land owners front yard, with his permission to help myself and enjoy and the asshole son in law comes up and says i can't hunt there, rather than make a scene i said fine, don't wanna be where i ain't wanted and moved on, i'm afraid it is a sign of the times, not only are the shrooms getting harder to find, access is getting worse, hope it changes, but not holding my breath, i agree with shroom god, any means to find shrooms is fair play

11. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

The Dawg aint been cuffed yet but it aint cuz Mr Landowner aint been tryin. I remember on one of my solo hunts years back I'm just getting into some shroomdiggity heaven and I hear some kinda motorized vehicle comin down a field road, now mind ya this was before everyone was carrying cell phones, GPS and what nots.

So I'm hunkered down in the buckbrush and it aint very leafy so the Dawg aint too inconspicuous ya know? Anyway the Dawg gets eye balled and there aint no where to run cuz Mr Landowner is on a dirt bike. I'm thinkin about runnin but I thought this dude has a dirt bike and all I could think of was me runnin and him ridin along and jumpin off that dirt bike just to steer wrassle me to the ground. So I stood up and started walkin out of the brush just to see if I could reason with this neck. As I get close enough to see his face I can see he aint nothin but pissed so now I'm thinkin I just screwed up by offerin myself up to Mr Landowner. Then the Dawg does what the Dawg does best....., thinkin on my feet yall. Hell I drop to the ground and I start to floppin and moanin and Mr Landowner says "what the hell is wrong with you boy?" and I said "I think I'm havin a heart attack!" So there aint no cell phones and I tell him to call an ambulance quick.
    Then he asks me "where are you parked?" I pointed up the field road that he came down, that sonsabitch was wantin the Dawgs license plate y'all but I fooled his ass cuz I was parked across the back 40 on a county road and as soon as he putted his ass up that field road the Dawg was off and runnin. I guarantee ya I was drinkin a PBR before he made that call for the ambulance...., LOL!

12. deerhunter93

deerhunter93 Young Morel

You people make me SICK!!! It is PRIVATE property - that means you are NOT ALLOWED unless you have permission. No wonder so many landowners hate morel hunters.

13. highmark

I agree deerhunter93. Antlers are not the only thing that takes away someones common sense. In reality the trespassers in here are a microcosm of what is happening to our country. I haven't called LE in the past but this thread has changed my mind. From now on I will call and press charges, especially on mushroom hunters! Not only that I will find out where they work and inform their employer as well.

14. morel maven

morel maven Morel Enthusiast

So you advocate trespassing? I have hunted shrooms for years and NEVER trespassed nor needed to. I ASK permission. I believe trespassers deserve what ever misfortune befalls them. I recall people speaking of slashed tires, broken windows or even worse. So do what you will, but others will do as they will in kind. Best of luck out there!

15. rookiemistake19

rookiemistake19 Morel Enthusiast

"Not only that i will find out where they work and inform their employer as well." Good luck with that one. Get real and get a life. This land is your land this land is my land.

16. tallfinn

tallfinn Young Morel

There is nothing worse than someone knowingly trespassing on another's property. After reading this garbage, I will now call DNR and LE anytime I find someone trespassing on my property, "lost" or not. I pay an awful lot in property taxes for the privilege to own land, and the fact that you think you can help yourself to something someone has worked their tail off for is sickening. I hope you get caught and are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

17. morel maven

morel maven Morel Enthusiast

I am glad that shroom god posted a pic of himself for his profile pic so we all know who the A-Hole is, if we ever run across him. I live in Colorado now so that wont happen anytime soon for me.

Thankfully out here we have a LOT of public lands and not many mushroom hunters. It's a little different out here since there aren't a lot of elms, so they grow by other trees. I did find one of my biggest ever the other day. A monster weighing 9.7oz. We also have a longer season and they can be found in higher elevations up into July. I miss my Iowa timber, but don't miss those damn ticks.

18. fun gus

fun gus Morel Enthusiast

Ok rookie what's your address. Since it's my land too ill take what I like?

19. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

morelmaven he knew the landowner, he died. So he insisted his sibling take the mushrooms. are you stupid? He did the right thing, give him credit.It turned out great, why are you making a big deal out of this?

20. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Enthusiast

Ok Morel Maven and tallfinn, you both really need to relax, don't you have something better to worry about, and rookiemistake19 what makes you think any of us need to work, shroom god, shroom dawg and myself were merely reliving past deeds, we are fully aware of the law and i can't speak for everyone else, but if i happen to inadvertently roam where i shouldn't be, i am more than willing to accept the consequences, the last F ing thing we wanna do is get hassled when we are out communing with nature , get a life and guess what, you don't need to post no trespassing signs, we ain't morons, we get property rights, we just weren't lucky enough to have great grand parents carve out a large tract of land and have it handed to us, you can have it all to yourselves, you earned ir, right? haha GROW UP, it's a fun message board, get over yourselves, peace, love and fungus,