1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Twin Cities Area

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by more el, May 21, 2014.

1. more el

more el Morel Enthusiast

How many have you found in the twin cities area? are the cities at peak morel season?

2. marty mcfly

marty mcfly Morel Enthusiast

me and a buddy found about 2 1/2 pounds last saturday in the east metro. I think peak season is about 3 or 4 days away.

3. rideride2

rideride2 Young Morel

Found about a pound yesterday in the western metro. Some larger grey's and smaller blonde's. Found a spot that had been hit already but must have had >50 monsters...next year!

4. dakotarunner

dakotarunner Morel Enthusiast

I have found a few small ones in Dakota County the past three days. All of them by dying elms. Yesterday's find was on a north facing slope.

5. theotherredmeat

theotherredmeat Morel Enthusiast

They are jammin now, found them south metro, and north metro. It wont be long before we are chattin about 2015

6. andnowshrooms

andnowshrooms Young Morel

totally new to this...found some spots in an area that a friend told me to look around that I think might be good, in hopkins, but some people I ran into said it is too dry? do we need more rain before they will pop?

7. elusive1

elusive1 Morel Enthusiast

Anyone want to meet up and go looking in the St.Paul area?

8. lazerstacy

lazerstacy Morel Enthusiast

I might be interested. I am new to the twin cities and didn't know they grew here until I found this forum. I grew up in hunting in the Missouri bluffs. We would fill giant pillow cases and bring home over 50 lbs a day! I have not enjoyed a fresh morel in 35 years. I have hunted for two years now with tips I'm learning here but have not found any yet. I won't hunt alone so finding a hunting buddy is always my challenge. I live in St. Paul. I have a flexible work schedule so can be available most any time.

9. elusive1

Lazerstacy what part of St.Paul?

10. lazerstacy

I am in Oakdale, across the hwy from Mahtomedi. I just spoke to a friend in the St. Croix area who invited me to go hunt up there today, figured they are about a day or two behind us and might work out. Two days ago, I hunted the local area here. I was in some really great deciduous areas with lots of fallen trees and some that appeared to be elm but all I found was a homeless guy's hideout and sleeping area tucked into the base of a big tree - hence, not wanting to hunt alone! I had my pepper spray out once I found that! I would be able to hunt the twin cities area again tomorrow afternoon (5-28) if you are interested.

11. elusive1

lazerstacy I'm right down the road from you in St.Paul Park, I went out to Afton state park yesterday & only found 1 in 2 hours :( you have a possible place to check out? I'm free tomorrow around 6pm.

12. elusive1

I sure hope this rain were getting helps produce more morels East of St.Paul & South East to

13. elusive1

Started a face book group for Minnesota Morel Mushroom Hunters, Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/501700896597783/members/

14. elusive1

Todays find [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  15. mplssetter

mplssetter Young Morel

New to this forum, but glad I found it. I went out middle of last week to my "spot" and didn't find anything. So I thought I'd give it awhile. Came back from the holiday weekend and went out yesterday (Wednesday) morning again and found only small grays. They all seemed a bit on the dry side as well. I was wondering where all the big yellows are? It looks like "Elusive1" found some nice yellows, so now I'm wondering if somebody got to my spot first...

16. elusive1

mplssetter https://www.facebook.com/groups/501700896597783/ fb group

17. lazerstacy

Elusive sorry i didn't get back to you. I traveled out of cel service to st croix but it's too early there. A friend in Hudson just found one in his yard tonight so i think it's been a weird weather season. Perhaps we will find some in our area after all. I am unfortunately tied up with a seminar through Saturday but Sunday I'm open. Maybe we just drive & check in spots that look good. ?? But don't wait for me if they are popping bc of moisture now.