Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shawnee Forest? I was over that way about 3 days ago. Didn't see any, but I think they just started popping up today and yesterday. I got a small handful of blacks in Williamson today, but I'm still pretty new to shroomin so don't really have any good "spots" yet to check. I heard around Lake Kinkaid was a great location. Looks like its going to storm for the next 3 days now then drop down to highs in the 50's for 2 days. Hopefully it'll be good to go after that with highs back in the 60's and 70's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Headn down to murphyboro tomarrow hope it worth the drive but got the day off so why not right? Anyone find decent size morels down that way?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have heard of a few good finds around rend lake, of course union county^ and I have found a few blacks, Nothing big and good tho. It was supposed to rain today but never really did, only scattered rain here and there. ground is a little dry but im sure if you spend the day you should find some. good luck as i will be out early in the morning as well hoping to find some new spots!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well as of today(fri 4/19) i have found right at 100. Most blonde or grey, i will try to get a pic up if i can figure how to do it from mobile. Biggest have been between 4 and 6 iinches(i only measure the tops, no stem) but only found a few that size. Waiting to see what happens after a lot of rain and drop in temp last night. Doesn't seem to be quite as good as last season so far, but it is not over yet( I HOPE)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think this season is going to be long and drawn out!!! not going to post a pic of what I have found cause it is not worth it but today my hope was restored. Up until now and the past few weeks all I had found (carbondale area) was a few half frees. today I went to some new land cause none of my other spots were hitting and found 5 small greys and yellows. so I would guess that it is really just beginning hopefully. I know others have had some good luck in the area but as far as the season goes It is nothing significant. The forecast seems to be perfect for a long season!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am getting ready to hit the woods now. Have seen a little sunshine here and there but is staying mostly cloudy. I agree that the forcast looks promising and think we could be finding them for a while. Morel hunting and bow hunting whitetails are the only good parts of being unemployed. Been laid off for way too long and a good job is around here is like a morel in febuary.lol. will update my find this evening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts