Unusual start. More puzzled now after hunting

Discussion in 'Kansas' started by Pheasanthunter913, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Pheasanthunter913

Pheasanthunter913 Young Morel

Went out today for first time of the year. Timber was much further along than anticipated. Found 2 yellows that have been up for probably a week. Then got into patch of what I call "pecker heads". They were all small. I thought I was probably a few days early. However. That was not the case. I'm not sure what to think now. Hopefully the big pop is yet to come. Good luck!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Shawmmie likes this.
  2. Chris14

Chris14 Young Morel

I went out today for the first time all year and didn't find one. I had high hopes after all the rain we had. Hunted near La Cygne, KS

3. shroomanitu

shroomanitu Morel Enthusiast

Those 'Peckerheads' are false morels, Verpa conica . I would advise against eating them. If you do eat them, they could make you sick or give you an uneasy feeling!

4. parrothead

parrothead Morel Connoisseur

PH are fine to eat.

5. Pheasanthunter913

Those are not false morels! False morels have white stems. They taste the same as any morels.

6. skamp

skamp Morel Enthusiast

I see 2 morels and the others look like false. Play it safe;)

7. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Surprised at all the misinformation on a "morel" board. Half-frees, or pecker heads will have steam attached halfway up the cap. Verpa's or false morels, the stem will run all the way to the tip of the head. But the easiest way to tell verpa from half-free is to look inside the stem. If it's full of a cottony white substance, its a verpa, if not, it's a half free.

8. saharadweller

saharadweller Morel Enthusiast

Pecker heads, half frees, long necks, all the same thing, all morels, and all tasty!

1 person likes this.
  9. skamp

skamp Morel Enthusiast

I stand corrected. I thought those pointed tips were false morels. I passed on a bunch last year thinking they were false...are they tasty?

10. Pheasanthunter913

They all tasted the same. We ate them out at opening day on mon. We had enough alcohol to kill any of the poison that would have been in them anyways. I've always eaten them. I've never gotten sick. They taste just like any other Morel to me.