Upper Peninsula Morels

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by Shawn906, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Shawn906

Shawn906 Young Morel

My name is Shawn and I'm new to this forum and am from Marquette County Michigan located in the Upper Peninula. As soon as our snow is gone and spring hits I would love to learn more about Morels and would love to help you all learn about what The Upper Peninsula of Michigan can provide for you hunters. Thank you for this page and forum. I look forward to getting to know u folks.

2 people like this.
  2. Shawn906

Shawn906 Young Morel

A gentlemn name Wade active on the Indiana forum met me on our travels through Indiana and recommended I share what I can with you all. Thank you Wade for this recommendation to this forum to help hunters from all over.

3. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

HI Shawn

I hunted the Grand Marais area last year and found nothing.

Yoopers are tight lipped about the morels up there.

Maybe my friend and I can meet your for a foray this spring.

I hear the east side is much better than west.

4. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

Hi Shawn, I'm one of the Trolls just under the Bridge, Lewiston. Give me a shout if you make it to Troll Country.....LOL

2 people like this.
  5. John T. Reid

John T. Reid Young Morel

Question for Lake Gogebic area....Last week in May generally pretty good ? Yellow Spongue?

Thanks, John

6. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Welcome to the board Shawn, hope you have a really good season & learn lots about your new area. We won't hold knowing
    " Wade" against ya either...

7. celticcurl

Looks like late July for morel season up there for this year.

How many feet of snow do you have? I've got less than an inch down here in Ingham county. I'm really hating it.

1 person likes this.
  8. John T. Reid

John T. Reid Young Morel

No snow in central Indiana ....just cold. Going to the UP-wisc. side the last of May. Hope to find some but temps need to climb.

9. Shiitake Creek

Shiitake Creek Morel Enthusiast

Hey gang, just got back from a decent early season morel hunt in IN. I'm just outside of Iron Mountain. I run the Shiitake Creek Mushroom Company and attend farmers markets in Marquette, Escanaba, Green Bay and Iron Mountain. We are certified for wild mushroom and do broker them as well. If ya want to make some cash on your season look me up. IMG_20180413_191619671.jpg

Attached Files:

10. celticcurl

Maybe when my friend K.A and I are up stumbling around the U.P we'll look you up (if you don't mind).

I tried contacting a wholesaler in Eaton Rapids about my mushrooms but they never replied. No big deal, I didn't try contacting them more than once so I wasn't really serious about it.

I've got a brewery or 2 lined up for my shrooms.

Shiitake Creek likes this.
  11. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

Shawn. I live in Northern Indiana and hunt the upper part of the lower peninsula. I would like to learn more about U.P. Morels. I have two web sites that may be help full
    MSU Enviro-weather has remote weather stations throughout the state but not many in U.P. but its worth a look. Daily Hi and Lo air temps., daily Hi Lo soil temps and daily precipitation. There is another site (Greencast.com) that will provide a better soil temp. report for anywhere you are. I suggest you check these out I think they could be helpful. It is my understanding that soil temps. need to be consistently in the 50s for the Morels to grow. I have been to the U.P. several times but have never hunted Morels there. I am also losing many of my areas South of the bridge to cutting and think I will need to head up your way soon so any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  12. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

Wade is a wise man and a great Morel hunter but you may be pushing it a bit far to call him a "Gentleman" LOL

T tom and (deleted member) like this.
  13. elmgirl

elmgirl Morel Connoisseur

Finally someone from the UP! We traveled there to hunt last year visited a burn site. Welcome to the forum good luck with your hunting this year