Upstate New York 2020 Spring season.

Discussion in 'New York' started by audiophoenix, Mar 30, 2020.

1. audiophoenix

audiophoenix Morel Connoisseur

Perfect way to social distance yourself.
    Anyone scouting out new territory?

I'm keeping my eyes pealed for southern facing hills.

I'm hoping this year brings a good haul for everyone. Lot's of action last year, maybe that means lot's of spores germinating right now.

2. Scott Walters

Scott Walters Young Morel

Hello all, just moved to New York from Washington State. We would be picking at this time out west. I have as most of us have been keeping our distance from everyone but have been to a few state parks near me ( Hamlin State Park) and have looked but nothing yet. I would think we need a few more warmer days. Am I on the right track of thinking?

3. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

I am not sure about your micro climate near the lake but, us in central NY, we still have 3 weeks before we even begin to look.

4. bigmedicine

bigmedicine Young Morel

Western New York'er here. Haven't been able to scout due to a rolled ankle, been working from home for the past 2.5 weeks with another 4 weeks to go before they say we can go back into the office. The good think is it's giving my ankle time to heal, I cannot wait to get into the woods and start hunting for morels. They are a scarce mushroom where I live, haven't found one in the past 3 years of looking, hopefully this season I will find them.

5. Morel Insanity

Morel Insanity Morel Enthusiast

Hello 2020 thread! There's a Broome County find reported on The Great Morel map, from March 31st. No pic, but it's giving me hope for an early start here. Best of luck to all!

3 people like this.
  6. Jakob

Jakob Young Morel

I just moved up here from Illinois recently, I’m on fort drum. I mushroom hunt every year back home but don’t know much about this area, looking for suggestions on where to go. Of course I’m not asking for your money holes but maybe some good public land and parks near me. Also when is prime time up here for them to start popping? Any help is much appreciated!

7. geogymn

When you hear lawn mowers then it will be time to start looking.

8. lithic hunter

lithic hunter Morel Enthusiast

First fungi of the year for me. False morel(Gyromitra) growing from a dead log. I don't recall seeing these grow from wood before, but this log has long been dead. 20200408_171629.jpg

9. Mr. Morel

Mr. Morel Morel Enthusiast

Good Luck everyone. I can wait till the pictures start to fly.

10. LaurenC.

LaurenC. Morel Enthusiast

I’m from chenango county and I’m not sure the morel map sighting in Lisel, NY was accurate...it’s still pretty cold out here! I went for my first “hunt” today with the kiddos and dog. Social distancing doesn’t have to equal cabin fever!! Nothing yet, but I’m probably jumping the gun. I’ve got one spot (my back yard ) that produces yearly, but I’ve only ever found them a few times elsewhere. I’m wondering what folks from NY find them frequently around since all the elms are long gone from Dutch elm disease. I’ve heard SO many mixed things (they grow around oaks, they DONT grow around oaks) and insert every tree name available. They grow in the forest/no they don’t they grow along the edges of fields. Can someone narrow it down a wee bit for me?

11. geogymn

There are plenty of Elm trees in Chenango county and are the greatest chance (methinks) of finding the proverbial mother lode. Ash and Apple are my next best targets. Apples that are half dying, but live Ash. I have no experience with scoring under Oaks. I never found them in open fields but haven't really spent much time there looking.
    I prefer to target the tree and see if it is good ground for morels. It is still way early here, I won't start looking in earnest till I hear the irritating drone of lawnmowers.

12. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

I'm with Geo. Elms for sure. I do find them along edges of fields n woods. Definitely to cold yet up here 27° this morning. But next weekend starting to look good temp wise. I usually start looking around the 1st to start seeing them poking out of the ground. So close now. Happy hunting.

13. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Blacks are at the peak right now and the yellows are just starting in NEPA. Wish all my northern neighbors the best of luck. Happy Hunting!

14. GCain

GCain Morel Enthusiast

I found a falsey and a coworker found a nice black this past weekend (in different spots). Now we have an inch of snow in Chautauqua County. Ramps are in full force so it's worth a walk regardless once the weather warms up a bit. Happy healthy hunting everyone

15. Mr. Morel

Mr. Morel Morel Enthusiast

Ramps are pretty full on in northern Otsego County. Nice dinner of kielbasa’s, penne, and fresh sautéed ramps. Ready for the rest of nature’s spring bounty. Mouse ear’s on the currents’, but as Geo will tell you, might be peepers out, but no lawn mowers yet.

Be well and have fun getting out!

Attached Files:

16. LaurenC.

LaurenC. Morel Enthusiast

I saw some ramps last weekend on a hike, and yes, as mentioned, now and inch of snow!
    I feel kind of silly, but I was totally under the impression the Elms are still pretty rare in Ny (upstate). Gonna have to do some homework lol. Thanks for all your suggestions!!

17. Espazz

Espazz Morel Enthusiast

I found some ramps over the weekend and cooked them up with peppers and sausage.

I'm on the border of Madison and otsego. I'm the unadilla valley. What else can I be looking for... Once this snow melts. I did see these but not sure what they are.

Attached Files:

18. Espazz

Espazz Morel Enthusiast

Also found this fungi growing on some dead trees.

Attached Files:

19. geogymn

Skunk Cabbage - break off a piece and take a whiff.

LaurenC. and Mr. Morel like this.
  20. geogymn

Conks - nothing to get too excited about as far as a mycophagist is concerned. A mycologist might disagree.