Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While this might not be specifically helpful, you have a decent chance at morels in any local state or county park. Just keep an eye out for the tell tale dying elms, southern slopes, loamy soil areas or lower creek bottoms. Older apple orchards can be especially fruitful as well. I am up in Jefferson county, if you ever head up north I'd be glad to help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I seem to always confuse ash and elm. Short of the leaves, what are some good indicators of an ash or elm? Found a spot with lots of dying ash yesterday so hoping I'll have luck.
Ash to me is a much finer, tighter looking x pattern with little variance on the outside ridges of the bark. I call it a zippered pattern. Elm tends to have more of a shaggy uneven texture with longer, taller x pattern. Sometimes even looks like rectangles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A quick tip to ID elms, other than the piles of fallen bark, is the "buttressed" roots. On the mature elms the roots protrude from the ground and look very sturdy. I'm in Broome County and haven't had much luck finding morels around elms; ash and apple are the best providers for me.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Identifying the bark is key but sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. Sometimes too close is too confusing. Step back and look at the overall shape of the tree. Check out how high the first set of branches begin. Check out the shape and thickness, the overall structure of the upper branches.
Enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went out in Chautauqua county looking for good sites. Not much of interest out yet.

It's my first year and basically I'm going off of Adam Harringtons (Learn your land) videos on You Tube. American elm, and tulip poplars are the trees I've been searching for. Tree Id isn't my strong suit yet.
I'm not great with tree ID either. I've got ash and apple down easy. But elm always seems to be tricky. I try to focus more on the leaves from the fall. I can identify those well. So just find the right leaves and you'll be close to the right tree.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hobler

We seem to have a bunch around me here in WNY. Mainly in creek bottoms, pastures and along the roads. Are you finding your morels under similarly located elms?

Eric

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hobler

We seem to have a bunch around me here in WNY. Mainly in creek bottoms, pastures and along the roads. Are you finding your morels under similarly located elms?

Eric
Stay away from standing water around the elms. Otherwise those areas should be great. Try to stay away from the elms that all the bark has fallen off from. Also if you don't find them one yr in a spot recheck it the following yr you might get a surprise. Happy hunting.

1 - 20 of 463 Posts