Upstate NY 2019 Season

Discussion in 'New York' started by ChainsawHand999, Mar 26, 2019.

1. ChainsawHand999

ChainsawHand999 Morel Enthusiast

Figured I'd get this thing started! This is the upstate NY 2019 thread. Looking forward to this season!

2. Ellie

Ellie Young Morel

Anyone know of morels in the Saratoga County region? Willing to travel!

1 person likes this.

3. ChainsawHand999

While this might not be specifically helpful, you have a decent chance at morels in any local state or county park. Just keep an eye out for the tell tale dying elms, southern slopes, loamy soil areas or lower creek bottoms. Older apple orchards can be especially fruitful as well. I am up in Jefferson county, if you ever head up north I'd be glad to help.

2 people like this.
  4. Mr. Morel

Mr. Morel Morel Enthusiast

I agree with everything chainsaw said. I also have tremendous luck around ash trees.

5. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

It's getting close. I've been looking at nice elms planning some hunts all ready. Little over a month and it will be time.

6. ChainsawHand999

I seem to always confuse ash and elm. Short of the leaves, what are some good indicators of an ash or elm? Found a spot with lots of dying ash yesterday so hoping I'll have luck.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr. Morel

Mr. Morel Morel Enthusiast

Ash to me is a much finer, tighter looking x pattern with little variance on the outside ridges of the bark. I call it a zippered pattern. Elm tends to have more of a shaggy uneven texture with longer, taller x pattern. Sometimes even looks like rectangles.

8. Porcina

Porcina Young Morel

A quick tip to ID elms, other than the piles of fallen bark, is the "buttressed" roots. On the mature elms the roots protrude from the ground and look very sturdy. I'm in Broome County and haven't had much luck finding morels around elms; ash and apple are the best providers for me.

Mr. Morel likes this.
  9. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

Identifying the bark is key but sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. Sometimes too close is too confusing. Step back and look at the overall shape of the tree. Check out how high the first set of branches begin. Check out the shape and thickness, the overall structure of the upper branches.
    Enjoy the hunt.

10. ChainsawHand999

Heard some CNY reports of ramps popping. Won't be long with days like this! :) few more weeks!

11. Justin case

Justin case Young Morel

I went out in Chautauqua county looking for good sites. Not much of interest out yet.

It's my first year and basically I'm going off of Adam Harringtons (Learn your land) videos on You Tube. American elm, and tulip poplars are the trees I've been searching for. Tree Id isn't my strong suit yet.

12. ChainsawHand999

I'm not great with tree ID either. I've got ash and apple down easy. But elm always seems to be tricky. I try to focus more on the leaves from the fall. I can identify those well. So just find the right leaves and you'll be close to the right tree.

13. hoblershang

99% of my finds are elm. There all over here . My favorite are the elms that have a redish color or first ta second yr of there dieing cycle. When I see one I'm like a kid in a candy store. Lol

Mr. Morel and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Pettit877

Pettit877 Morel Enthusiast

Hobler

We seem to have a bunch around me here in WNY. Mainly in creek bottoms, pastures and along the roads. Are you finding your morels under similarly located elms?

Eric

Mr. Morel likes this.
  15. Micah Wiesner

Micah Wiesner Young Morel

I'm in Central New York by Syracuse. Anyone have any luck yet? I know it seems early, but I just don't wanna miss em!

16. hoblershang

Stay away from standing water around the elms. Otherwise those areas should be great. Try to stay away from the elms that all the bark has fallen off from. Also if you don't find them one yr in a spot recheck it the following yr you might get a surprise. Happy hunting.

Mr. Morel and (deleted member) like this.
  17. hoblershang

Still to early. But getting close. You'll see people on here posting there finds n the area there in.

18. Morelsareswell

Morelsareswell Young Morel

I hauled in 20 lbs on Sunday. Half pickled and the other half waiting.

19. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Take a sample of bark & snap it in half. It will be layered like a
    “Kit-Kat” Candy bar. This is an Elm only trait.

20. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

F4A759AC-DF61-45EE-A03C-22475074AD7B.png