Upstate NY 2019 Season

Discussion in 'New York' started by ChainsawHand999, Mar 26, 2019.

1. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

Congratulations once again! How many did you gather last year?

2. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

454 was all I got lol

1 person likes this.

3. hoblershang

I left so many today filled my pail n bag I had on me was still seeing good ones on my way out.

4. Plantman

Plantman Morel Enthusiast

IMG_20190522_115157.jpg

4 people like this.
  5. geogymn

6. geogymn

I am a little confused...how can that be?

7. hoblershang

Last yr they were starting to pop up n then we had a major dry spell n got hot. Think that killed many of them off. Plus this yr I found them where I've looked many times before n never found them. I also gained around 600 ta 700 acres of the best morel ground ever this yr. Tons of dead mature elms on the edges of fields or on the right slope with the best dirt and dam thorn bushes so thick that only the craziest person (me lol) would go into them. This is only my 5th yr hunting morels I'd like to think I finally came into my prime and understand the morels alot better even though they still can throw a cure ball at me all the time. Found 5 under a barkless elm today. The only rule about morels is there is no rules lol.

8. geogymn

Excellent explanation, thanks. It is hard to believe you will ever have a year like this year or last year again.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bluewizard2

Bluewizard2 Young Morel

My wife showed me a bunch of Morel mushrooms she had found on our camp property the other day. I am 63 years old and grew up here near the Canadian border and never gave a thought to them until my wife told me what they are worth! I am looking forward to harvesting a bunch this weekend. How long does the season last in northern NY?

1 person likes this.
  10. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Putting up with your pics? I'm in awe of your pics! Like I said before, this should be archived! Let a mod or admin, whoever has the wherewithal, take every one of your posts out of this thread and preserve it as a "sticky" or "pinned" thread!

3 people like this.
  11. geogymn

Down here in the Mohawk Valley I find it hard to find harvest able morels after May. But this year I might give it an extra week.

2 people like this.
  12. hoblershang

Thanks shroomseacher. I'm gonna go give it a try after the holiday weekend. I walked by a many good looking morels Thursday.

1 person likes this.
  13. geogymn

What a great day to be in the woods. Cool air, some wind, no bugs, sunshine, what more could you ask for?
    I scored a dozen or so real nice morels but most were too far gone.
    Now for the obligatory annual declaration.......What a weird year!

I was surprise to run into some hot chicks whilst on my walk. 0525191045.jpg 0525191056.jpg 0525191044.jpg

14. Mr. Morel

Mr. Morel Morel Enthusiast

I agree!!!! So weird. I finally went out again. Northern Otsego county. 1400-1600’. I put 7-8 miles. PG and new ground. Found 25 all spent. Found a bunch I first left up there 3 weeks ago. Every other one I found was solo and looked to be just as old and big.
    Zero signs of new growth.
    Mean while Saratoga county finding plush firm softball size. Not sure if this is me throwing in towel or not!

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  15. newbuck

newbuck Morel Enthusiast

Hey guys! Had some luck when I was back in Ohio and living in wny (Buffalo) now. Absolutely no luck finding these things around here.

Would love to chat and/or link up with someone from the area that wouldn’t mind showing me the ropes. I work a crazy amount so time is usually limited, but I really miss getting out into the woods and having my heart race when I come across a patch of tasty fungi.

16. hoblershang

Nice looking chicks there Geo.
    Very nice Mrmorel
    I'm gonna give it one more go Tuesday but don't think they be good alot are on the edge here too.

morchella 1 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Ceder551

Ceder551 Morel Enthusiast

went today found 4 pounds worth. even found a group of blonds just starting. 20190524_130045.jpg

18. endless_shrimp

endless_shrimp Young Morel

Found some nice big morels this May but the last couple times I went out looking there was none to be found. Anybody know if the season is pretty much over in the mid-hudson valley?

19. mmh

mmh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I first hunted Morels with my Father, Grandfather and uncles in 1974. I have tried to
    bank as much knowledge as I could. My final thought about this is that Morels don't give a damn what I think. I still have more questions than answers. Shroom on my friend.

2 people like this.
  20. Catskill Longbow

Catskill Longbow Morel Enthusiast

What is the one in the middle picture? Edible? I found a couple nice ones like that a few weeks ago here.