Upstate NY 2019 Season

Discussion in 'New York' started by ChainsawHand999, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Rucca

Rucca Morel Enthusiast

Says I need 3 posts to add links... guess that’s why photos didn’t populate.

Attached Files:

2. Rucca

Rucca Morel Enthusiast

Attached Files:

3. Rucca

Rucca Morel Enthusiast

Another picture

Attached Files:

4. Rucca

Rucca Morel Enthusiast

Another pic

Attached Files:

5. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

Yes those are Yellow Morels (Morchella esculenta). You can use a knife and cut them just above ground level, that way they stay clean.
    Do not eat them raw. They are too hard to digest.
    I would not give them to children, especially toddlers as they may have an allergic reaction to them. It is rare allergy, but better to be safe
    Parents should test them first. You should start out with a small portion for reasons listed above.
    There are a hundred ways to cook them, I like them on top of steak myself.
    Congratulations for bumping into something that some people walk miles to find, in vain.

6. Rucca

Rucca Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the response Geogymn. My cousin in Illinois said they were too but I have been wary due to round versus pointed tips plus opening at tops. Unfortunately the caretaker took a weedeater to half of them yesterday. Have you seen them round and open on top like this before?

7. Rucca

Rucca Morel Enthusiast

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. geogymn

Yes many times. They probably got topped by the weedeater when they were first emerging. I never give a definitive fungi identification on the internet but might make an exception in this case.
    Harvest them, study them, cut them open. Prepare yourself for the next time you find them. If there is any lingering doubt do not eat them, you won't enjoy them.

Barnacle and Rucca like this.
  9. Rucca

Rucca Morel Enthusiast

Have the hubby bringing home salt to soak them. Plan to cook them with steak tomorrow. I’ll let you know if I survive.

Attached Files:

10. Rucca

Rucca Morel Enthusiast

I not only survived but am looking forward to my next find to try a different batter. I want to use bisquick next time. I thought that garlic salt in pancake batter would work with our limited groceries we have on hand. They were good but a bit too sweet. I used butter to fry them and would do that again. Hopefully they’re good again tonight because my husband wouldn’t eat any. I filled up on them so fast, because they were so rich, that I never even touched my steak. It was a cool experience running into these. I can understand why they are hunted. Thank you for your guidance & sharing your knowledge. Happy hunting!

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  11. geogymn

Happy to hear that your first experience with morels was a good one.

12. JCG86

JCG86 Young Morel

I finally got lucky and stumbled upon some morels! Spent my lunch breaks looking the last few years (Broome/Chenango County) All were large yellow and beyond expired but I have PG for next year :)

13. geogymn

The first find is the hardest. Congratulations!

2 people like this.
  14. JCG86

JCG86 Young Morel

Thanks!! Will post some pictures when I have enough posts

1 person likes this.
  15. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

6C023B1C-8965-4466-9B17-C07A6D8BFC95.jpeg 639FD38A-2370-4BD7-AFB9-EB9B0A2D3E8E.jpeg
    Anyone know what these are?

2 people like this.
  16. Michael Michael Kowalski

Michael Michael Kowalski Young Morel

The one with red berries is red baneberry. The one below is wild sarsaparilla.

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Thanks Michael Michael Kowalski appreciate the ID.

1 person likes this.