Upstate NY 2019 Season

Discussion in 'New York' started by ChainsawHand999, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Plantman

Plantman Morel Enthusiast

Hey Geo I tried to reply a long time ago about it being a phenomenon. It didn't post and I may be completely without fact..For years I have searched dead or almost dead Elmer's for morels,and dying dead apple trees.Most times were with great success in shroom hunting.For the last 3 years plus my Elm Trees Have died in epic proportions.Dead bark everywhere= host.I Believe.You can not drive a rural road where there isn't several meaning ,,ten plus dead elms.I was actually on my own land picking,and a couple from 30 plus miles away asked if I was picking morels!)@$^#?.They were lol Ten years ago no one knew what they were let alone how great of a resource they are .I feed my family.We eat them.Alot of people sell them. For to much money,when they should put them in a freezer..

1 person likes this.
  2. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

That one had me thinking ginseng, but the leaves weren't right!

Hope those elms aren't too long dead! There are a bazillion dead elms on the 2,200 acres of my fish and game club. I don't know of a one that still has morels. They are all dead bare wood, no bark at all, and falling apart. If your elms are still holding on to most of their bark, but it's slipping a bit, they may still produce. Also look for trees like apple, sycamore, and cottonwood. These trees can also have morels in their company.

2 people like this.
  3. Morelforme

Morelforme Young Morel

So the upstate NY season is late April?

4. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

Shroomsearcher in my area elms are the go to tree. 99% of my finds are all daed elms. My new area has elms in all stages. I check the other trees too but have very little success. I'm hoping this season is at least half as good as last yr. Happy hunting.

1 person likes this.
  5. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

Just beginning in late April. You might find some on PG but in May they get tall enough to see.

6. DoctaGreen

DoctaGreen Morel Enthusiast

Get ready :) Oysters probably here in Western New York and I will be isolated from the crazy world in the woods. Good luck and may the mycelium be with you !! I know a stupid pun. Anyways be safe out there.

7. Built-Right716

Built-Right716 Young Morel

Do you guys think it will be early this year with the early spring?

8. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

@DoctaGreen ..we will Hunt all still a Go

Morel Insanity likes this.
  9. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

When you hear the first lawn mower the first Morels will be peeking through.

10. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Marsh--That's a great picture!

Thanks for posting.

11. Marshmallowhunter

Marshmallowhunter Young Morel

Thanks!!