Upstate NY 2019 Season

Discussion in 'New York' started by ChainsawHand999, Mar 26, 2019.

1. ChainsawHand999

ChainsawHand999 Morel Enthusiast

Had some downtime to make my very first shroomin' hiking stick. Just needs a few coats of finish and she will be ready to bring some luck to the woods. Would be happy to share my process if anyone is interested. Have a happy easter everyone!

Attached Files:

2. Pettit877

Pettit877 Morel Enthusiast

I’d love to hear the process, I might make a couple myself

Eric

3. MerryMoose

MerryMoose Young Morel

There may be another functional benefit to that hiking stick too. I always hear people talking about searching a while and after they find the first one, the rest are easier to spot.

Maybe the visual aid from the beginning will get you spotting them faster. Seeing how they contrast with different ground probably helps a lot.

ChainsawHand999 likes this.
  4. ChainsawHand999

Sure thing. I was able to snag this chunk of maple which had those gnarly vines wrapped around it. I think its gives the stick character. It was relatively green, so I was able to carve the bark off very easily with a knife. I whittled down the morel to a rudimentary shape, and used a dremel tool with some sanding drums and carving tools to finish it. Sand the whole thing down from 60 grit up to 220/320, and stain to your choice of color. I went for a honey oak. I kept the mushroom stem bare. Now I just gotta spray some minwax helmsman spar urethane on her, and after a few coats she should be ready.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  5. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Really Kool ChainsawHand999! It is Gnarly! Good choice of stain & leaving the stem natural. Happy Hunting!

6. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

Check out " Beware the Verpa" thread on page 2

1 person likes this.
  7. Spiritmushroom

Spiritmushroom Young Morel

Hey everyone!
    This will be my first year hunting for morels! I’m hoping to get some nice photos of them growing!

Any tips on where/when I should start looking in the Syracuse area?

Thanks!

8. geogymn

We are still a couple weeks away yet in the Utica area. Start looking when you hear lawn mowers.

9. lithic hunter

lithic hunter Morel Enthusiast

Quick search in a new spot last night. No morels, but found a few young Pheasant Backs.
    Western Finger lakes area.
    20190423_190327.jpg

10. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Now I guess as you look for shrooms you will be looking for lumber for sticks too...nice job and good luck.

11. ChainsawHand999

Won't be long now! Seeing reports of morels in Wisconsin and Michigan. Even once near the UP! Early blacks should be here soon, so if you have a spot it's worth a gander.

2 people like this.
  12. Seth

Seth Young Morel

Most videos I see of people finding yellow morels, there's may apples in the background. So here in Delaware/Otsego county, the May apples are not even out of the ground yet.

Do you use may apples to time the morel season?

Mr. Morel likes this.
  13. geogymn

I don't, I use lawn growth. But some say the time to start looking is when the Oak leaves are the size of squirrel ears.

14. am19forever

am19forever Morel Enthusiast

Went on a delivery today to the hudson valley near poughkeepsie had time for a short hike and glad I did found quite a few so if your in the area I would head out. Not from the area so I don't mind sharing the spot peach hill park...sorry if this is your spot but dont worry I left plenty

Attached Files:

15. am19forever

Decent haul still left plenty small ones like I said

Attached Files:

16. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

Nice haul am19

17. Seth

Seth Young Morel

What was the area like? What were the nearby tree or plant species?

18. geogymn

Nice, real nice. Good catch!

19. am19forever

Old apple and peach orchard Seth

20. ChainsawHand999

It is SNOWING Jefferson county. Next few days are supposed to be cold. Oh well.