1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Upstate NY

Discussion in 'New York' started by katydid, Apr 23, 2017.

1. katydid

katydid Morel Enthusiast

What is the earliest anyone has ever found morels in upstate NY? When is everyone planning their first hunt this spring?

carl true likes this.
  2. hotdog642

hotdog642 Morel Enthusiast

Katydid,
    Ironic that you started this thread today. I was going to start it off with todays find. Onondaga County

Attached Files:

3. bigfish1212

bigfish1212 Morel Enthusiast

Next week I'll go check a couple spots.

4. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

Wow great find! I would of thought it was a bit early. Congratulations!

FattyG and justina38 like this.
  5. katydid

katydid Morel Enthusiast

Nice find! I'm a bit North of you but I think I'll head out this coming weekend for a look.

FattyG likes this.
  6. hotdog642

I was thinking that we were 1-2 weeks out also. If it wasn't for last years pg I would never have spotted them.

1 person likes this.
  7. lithic hunter

lithic hunter Morel Enthusiast

Took my wife and 2yr old son on a scouting hike today. No fungi found but had fun exploring. Hoping we find some next weekend. Ontario/Yates counties.

8. am19forever

am19forever Morel Enthusiast

Todays rain and warm rest of the week is getting me excited, sure sparking the fire to get out and hunt this weekend in wayne county.

1 person likes this.
  9. am19forever

Went out to a trustworthy spot this afternoon and found about a dozen lil guys all under one dead elm tree. Leaving them to grow bigger so i can actually make a meal out of them! Tis the season and were just getting started in northern wayne county

10. lithic hunter

lithic hunter Morel Enthusiast

Found these at a clients house today. Ontario county.

Attached Files:

am19forever likes this.
  11. geogymn

Thanks for the reports!

12. am19forever

I will have to post my finds when i figure how to get them on here...seems like lots of people have that problem

13. fingerlks13

fingerlks13 Morel Enthusiast

I'm getting excited! Hope to get out on Sunday, weather permitting. I have a great spot, but I'm afraid to try morels again this year, after my reaction last year... I'm in central FLX region, so if I find a bunch, I would be willing to share.

carl true likes this.
  14. hotdog642

Had to pick them, really starting to dry out. IMG_5388.JPG

2 people like this.
  15. katydid

katydid Morel Enthusiast

I checked a few known spots today in Jefferson Co and nothing yet. Sure felt like morel weather. And I was happy to see the ground nice and saturated. Should be soon!

Maybe I'll stumble across some early morels while chasing turkey Monday morning.

16. geogymn

Nice!!!!

17. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

So close I can almost taste them. Planning on next weekend to get out n check my spots.

18. spanielmander

spanielmander Morel Enthusiast

First find of 2017! A good haul of 20+ blacks plus some half-frees, only one of which I took with me. I made a little video of the haul here, give it a look and a "like" if you want more!:

19. justina38

justina38 Young Morel

Nice Find!! your find was in NY? I have been out all week in my early spots and nothing. The earliest I ever in 20 years was April 28th, most pictures are dated May 8th thru the 15th I log every year, amounts spots and date, LOL

carl true likes this.
  20. fingerlks13

fingerlks13 Morel Enthusiast

Heading out this morning to explore. I'll let you know what I find, if anything!

carl true likes this.