Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
201 - 220 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Matt not asking to be a jerk but that burn site find would be a very very interesting find on the east coast. Have done a ton of research on burn site morels and always looking for them to do some DNA testing. Are black morel on the east is the Morchella Angusticeps and aren't noted to grow in burns. On the west coast they have 3 or 4 different genus that are noted to grow in burns.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morchella_capitata
I'm not a mycologist. I just randomly found them closer to a creek where the burn had been halted. It's my third year and I guess it's a bit of beginners luck and eagle eyes.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Matt thanks for the reply.. I would say that creek side fruiting was more of a barrier issue than a burn fruiting. The mycelium runs to a barrier (the creek) and can't jump the gap so it fruits and sends the spores over it. Find many of my black morel before and after those gaps. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've found in burn areas but it's a whole different ballgame. Rotted stumps and could be anywhere as usual
Thanks Matt, I appreciate the tips. I gave up on it real quick though for fear I was wasting time. I have young kids and my wife Not into it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Found about 25 yesterday, real fresh, at a much higher elevation (1200 feet). I didn't spend much time there but may go back today. My pg's are in the 700 ft, give or take.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ok, so when it comes to drying I have had problems in the past. My first year I let them dry on screens ( bird netting on a horizontal extension ladder). They dried perfectly. I put them in clear 1 qt containers. But then, (brace yourselves)this happened.
IMG_5592.JPG
IMG_5593.JPG
IMG_5594.JPG
IMG_5595.JPG
IMG_5596.JPG

Some kind of moth larvae must have hatched inside the containers and they fed off the shrooms. If you zoom In you can see what looks like spiderweb. To this day there is still live moths in one of the containers. I was nervous to dry this years so I froze them. Do any of you freeze them?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Barnacle when you sun dry them you have to get them in a dehydrator for at least an hour until they are crisp. The most important is not to store in plastic get 1/2 gallons mason jars and use them must be in glass. I have morels that where done like this for 10 years and still good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm brand new to morels. Found these in my woods yesterday. Don't want to waste them but unsure about eating them. Does anyone want these? In return, I would like some education about morels and "false morels". Central NY 518-774-5105
149539483925893709427.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok, so when it comes to drying I have had problems in the past. My first year I let them dry on screens ( bird netting on a horizontal extension ladder). They dried perfectly. I put them in clear 1 qt containers. But then, (brace yourselves)this happened. View attachment 1999 View attachment 2000 View attachment 2001 View attachment 2002 View attachment 2003
Some kind of moth larvae must have hatched inside the containers and they fed off the shrooms. If you zoom In you can see what looks like spiderweb. To this day there is still live moths in one of the containers. I was nervous to dry this years so I froze them. Do any of you freeze them?
I am trying freezing some this year. I read if you cook them first they come out pretty good. So I sautéed them in batches then layed them out on cookie sheets in the freezer, after they were frozen I vacuum sealed them.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Bigfish1212 that is a good way to do them. Butter or oil render them down until butter or oil turns clear and steam stops coming of pan. You want to get all the moisture out of them, they will last a year in freezer until they start going down hill.

201 - 220 of 275 Posts