Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

221 - 240 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Barnacle when you sun dry them you have to get them in a dehydrator for at least an hour until they are crisp. The most important is not to store in plastic get 1/2 gallons mason jars and use them must be in glass. I have morels that where done like this for 10 years and still good.
Why the "must be glass"?

·
Registered
746 Posts
geogymn plastic is porous, moisture will pass thru plastic and degrade your shrooms. Will not with glass. I store all my dried goods in glass and they last for years,
Good to know, thanks! I have used plastic containers that once held nuts and never had a problem but you convinced me and will switch over to glass. Thanks again!

·
Registered
746 Posts
I cook. Just want to be sure they are safe?
Well you shouldn't trust anyone on the internet but.....the ones you have pictured are definitely
Morels, true morels. All the ones in your image are Morchella esculenta , AKA, Morchella esculentoides and currently called Morchella americana.
There are many places on the net that can verify your find.
It is good that you are skeptical, it is a very healthy attribute.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I cook. Just want to be sure they are safe?
PS.
With any new mushroom it is wise to eat only a little at first meal just in case you have an allergic reaction. Albeit it is a rare occurrence with yellow morels.

Congrats on the find by the way!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Well you shouldn't trust anyone on the internet but.....the ones you have pictured are definitely
Morels, true morels. All the ones in your image are Morchella esculenta , AKA, Morchella esculentoides and currently called Morchella americana.
There are many places on the net that can verify your find.
It is good that you are skeptical, it is a very healthy attribute.
LOL..... Getting harder to keep up with the name changes!!! I guess we'll have this with a newer science and newer testing procedures DNA.

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
I'm brand new to morels. Found these in my woods yesterday. Don't want to waste them but unsure about eating them. Does anyone want these? In return, I would like some education about morels and "false morels". Central NY 518-774-5105
View attachment 2004
Are you nutz...lol. fry those bad boys up for an experience that your taste buds will never forget..;)

·
Registered
900 Posts
hotdog all depends... Just do them until they snap when you bend them. If you have a temp dial on yours 115F or lower is the best way.. Low and slow!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Barnacle when you sun dry them you have to get them in a dehydrator for at least an hour until they are crisp. The most important is not to store in plastic get 1/2 gallons mason jars and use them must be in glass. I have morels that where done like this for 10 years and still good.
Thanks again trahn008, my plastic containers were definitely not air tight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good weekend at camp in lewis county,found about 60 ,got real lucky as a friends grandmother asked him what those mushrooms were growing in lawn,told them he wasn't eating them,told me and me and a friend went and picked them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Regarding elevation.. are higher/lower elevations more prime than the other depending on where we're at in the season? I found mine along sandy creek beds.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have to believe that elevation, latitude, and solar exposure are all variables along with season dates. I just wish I knew the formula.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hobler,great season,what a find today,on a north bank,found another 56 after a great weekend,one of my best seasons,and I did not even got to my hot spot,but that's ok,let them dry up and spread for next year.

221 - 240 of 274 Posts