Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
261 - 278 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am trying freezing some this year. I read if you cook them first they come out pretty good. So I sautéed them in batches then layed them out on cookie sheets in the freezer, after they were frozen I vacuum sealed them.
Big,

Sooo...how did they turn out? I just freeze dried mine by dredging in flour, then gave away to relatics, oops relatives. NO complaints. Waiting for your next recipe to hit the airwaves. I enjoyed last years.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Big,

Sooo...how did they turn out? I just freeze dried mine by dredging in flour, then gave away to relatics, oops relatives. NO complaints. Waiting for your next recipe to hit the airwaves. I enjoyed last years.
They turned out great I don't see myself drying them at all anymore. I thought the texture was way better than dried and rehydrated. They were just as good as fresh IMO.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What is the earliest anyone has ever found morels in upstate NY? When is everyone planning their first hunt this spring?
What is the earliest anyone has ever found morels in upstate NY? When is everyone planning their first hunt this spring?
They are here in Columbia county Picked a dozen today

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I have only been finding a few here and there in spots I found last year (saratoga County) and was getting discouraged! But today I found around 50 in a new spot, so my spirits are high again! I found around ten big yellow ones on a bank under some green plants (not mayapples but similar characteristics) with sunlight and then greys throughout the woods nearby to that with many dead trees.
This is exactly the type of habitat I hunt in sadly in CT I know it’s 5 years old the post but thanks for posting your pics of the areas. Helps me to hunt. Don’t have mountainy area inCT

261 - 278 of 278 Posts