Upstate NY

Discussion in 'New York' started by katydid, Apr 23, 2017.

1. carl true

carl true Young Morel

Went today looking in 2 diffrent spots and found nothing yet

2. carl true

carl true Young Morel

Can't wait to hear. I looked and found nothin

3. carl true

carl true Young Morel

I'm also in the fingerlakes area. Went out today with my kids in the wayne county area and found nothing. Let me no if you find some or any location I can look.

4. fwurlitzer

fwurlitzer Young Morel

Hello from western NY! Went out looking yesterday in Monroe county with no luck. Did find some false morels though. Feels great to finally find people in NY also looking for morels. The only thing you seem to find on social media is people talking about finds in the midwest.

1 person likes this.
  5. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

Oneida County, Valley of the Mohawk.
    Went out today with the expectation that I would be finding some albeit I felt they would be too small as I only mowed my lawn once.
    I was correct in my assumption but I did harvest a half dozen for breakfast along with some fiddleheads.
    I found 42 in all, all PG, otherwise I would not have seen most of them.
    10 were under dead Elm and the rest under Apple.
    People don't get discouraged, it will be hard to see them this week. Next weekend should begin the harvest. The weather has been favorable methinks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  6. geogymn

Lynk, where are you?

7. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

Nice geo. If ur finding them I know I should be good for next weekend on my PG. Thxs

8. geogymn

Supper tonight; Fresh Morels and Fiddleheads over venison backstraps. Died and went to heaven!

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

10. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Sorry.., all I found today were tics here in Saratoga county. I first discovered morels in my yard a few years back. I am embarrassed to say I used to mow right over them. Once I realized what they were, I decided to go out looking. I found tons! I was like this is easy! In the past 2 seasons I have only found 3. So much for easy. There's tons of dead elms and a few old orchards I know of, but no luck. It's my punishment for mowing them.

11. hotdog642

hotdog642 Morel Connoisseur

That's one tasty looking dish Geo!

12. geogymn

Thanks! It was!

1 person likes this.
  13. justina38

justina38 Young Morel

went south 4 hours of driving , hours of walking was it worth it, yes I think so. Husband fished I foraged. Came across a few nice one, ramps and a stream filled with watercress. Welcome Spring now just move up here a little.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. geogymn

Nice haul!

15. sugarman

sugarman Morel Enthusiast

16. sugarman

sugarman Morel Enthusiast

I usually start looking around Mothers Day unless we get a lot of cold,wet cloudy days

17. spanielmander

spanielmander Morel Enthusiast

Altogether 30+ of the three major types of morels in the Northeast: black, yellow, and half-free, all prime. I left some younger and older ones. Have you ever seen a bigger half-free? I almost hid that one, it was borderline indecent...

I wanted to share that I discovered the tree association for blacks (M. angusticeps) in this spot of mine: It's bigtooth aspen aka poplar. Very easily identifiable leaves in leaf litter, and then the bark and spring catkins will zero you into the tree. In the Hudson Valley I'd advise checking all aspen/poplar areas the last days of April and early May.

[​IMG]

18. geogymn

Good report, good haul! My earliest yellows are under Poplar. I've found just one Black in 15 years of hunting mushrooms.

1 person likes this.