Upstate NY

Discussion in 'New York' started by katydid, Apr 23, 2017.

1. hotdog642

hotdog642 Morel Connoisseur

It was a pretty productive day, 20 total take. Here's a few pics of habitat. 20 miles west of Syracuse.

Barnacle likes this.
  2. spanielmander

spanielmander Morel Enthusiast

Thanks! You may just be late looking for the blacks. I'm in Ulster by Kingston and I believe the blacks have been up for at least two weeks.

3. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

I can't say that they are not around, I just haven't found them. I also have a hard time finding Black Trumpets, maybe it is a vision thing.
    I am in the woods nearly every weekend and have found Verpas so ......maybe a vision thing.

4. fingerlks13

fingerlks13 Morel Enthusiast

I have the first one of the season for me...popping up in my yard, under a pine tree. This usually indicates that things are ready in FLX region. I'll try to drag the boy out with me tonight. I checked my spots on Saturday...nothing. Found the little nub in my yard on Sunday, so I'm thinking it might be good. What will this cool weather do for them?

5. HTH

HTH Young Morel

I found 15 grey and 2 blonde yesterday in Dutchess county

6. fwurlitzer

fwurlitzer Young Morel

The pines that you're finding them under.. are they green or dead/half dead pines? I've been mainly focusing on dead/dying trees. Mainly ash trees from what I can tell. Went out yesterday and today in the Rochester area. No luck thus far.

7. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

Made a quick stop at one of my PG n see 14 blondes all a inch tall in St. Lawrence county so pumped now didn't explore any don't want to step on any.

1 person likes this.
  8. geogymn

Live ash trees.

Barnacle likes this.
  9. hoblershang

KIMG0487.jpg here is a nice group. How long do u think I should give them were getting plenty of rain?

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  10. geogymn

I prefer them 3 to 4", just a personal preference.

1 person likes this.
  11. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Just found these in Saratoga county. I didn't pick them. How long should I wait to check them again?

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  12. sugarman

sugarman Morel Enthusiast

Nice Geo,looked a bit today,no luck yet

13. geogymn

There is no telling, too many variables, there is no constant with morels, or life for that matter.

14. geogymn

I haven't been out since Saturday so I have no idea what shape they are in, we've have had plenty of moisture but a bit cool. I am going to guess that there is minimal growth but stay tuned I will relate what I see once I get back out. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

15. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Thanks , I went back 3 hours later and they were gone . Lesson learned.

16. geogymn

Bummer! You shouldn't listen to anyone's advice on the internet.

17. katydid

katydid Morel Enthusiast

0504170902a.jpg Found these two tiny morels this morning on PG in Jefferson Co. Once I saw how tiny they were I left, and tried not to think about how many I was crushing under my boots on the way out.

18. hoblershang

Stopped raining so went to PG close to house 7 tiny grays gotta lot of growing to do

19. geogymn

This morning I snuck out to check on some I left this past Saturday. They only grew about 10%.
    My brother found 41 today and several were nice size.
    Good luck & enjoy the hunt!

1 person likes this.