Upstate NY

Discussion in 'New York' started by katydid, Apr 23, 2017.

1. bigfish1212

bigfish1212 Morel Connoisseur

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    2 people like this.
  2. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

3. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

4. am19forever

am19forever Morel Enthusiast

Co worker has been keeping an eye out for me (thankfully he doesnt like mushrooms) pointed one out to me today in a working peach orchard. Not only abandoned apple orchards and producing apple orchards but now peach trees as well!?!? Went back after work and found 1lb all in nice shape and size. Can you smell what im cooking?

1 person likes this.
  5. geogymn

Please take care harvesting morels from a working orchard. Chemicals abound!

6. hotdog642

hotdog642 Morel Connoisseur

IMG_5442.JPG
    Found my first blacks today..boy are they tough to see. Luckily it was right next to a few blondes. Upon further examination they were everywhere. IMG_5442.JPG

7. am19forever

Thanks geo i have been eating those chemicals since i was a kid...its not the chemicals that scare me its the organic freaks who dont realize their food has chemicals as well

8. bigfish1212

Just educate yourself on it a little bit is all. If you eat them from the wrong orchard you could slowly be giving your self lead or arsenic poisoning.

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  9. am19forever

Right on bigfish your probably right but the once a year finds in the orchards i dont think are going to harm me any different than what i eat the rest of the year.

10. hoblershang

Great find hotdog I did great as well today. With my first blacks today too. I got 157 n left alot of little ones. KIMG0356.jpg

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  11. hotdog642

hotdog642 Morel Connoisseur

Very nice, warmer weather in the forecast so you'll be harvesting again soon!

1 person likes this.
  12. bigfish1212

Nice haul I'm thinking next week I should have a haul like that. Went and tried some more new ground today I keep finding tons of really small greys.

1 person likes this.
  13. Sarah S.

Sarah S. Young Morel

Hi all! I was out weeding my flower beds at my new house and stumbled upon these...are they morels? What do I do with them??? I'm so oblivious :)

Attached Files:

14. geogymn

Yes that is a morel and a nice one too!

15. hoblershang

Yes Sara that is a morel. You can cook them with anything, soups,meat. But my favorite is to saute them in butter n garlic. Yummy. But be careful once you eat them you may be forever hooked on them. Lol

Sarah S. likes this.
  16. geogymn

Hobler, Great score!!! What have you got planned for all those?

1 person likes this.
  17. Sarah S.

Sarah S. Young Morel

Great! Thanks! What do I do with them? Can anyone recommend a book/blog/YouTube video to get me started?

18. hoblershang

Geo most of these will end up in my belly. I think morels r to die for n can't stop once I start. Plus I'll give some to my grandfather. Sold a half lb. And I'll dry up alot to get me threw the off season.

19. geogymn

Most excellent!

1 person likes this.