Featured Visual Guide for Finding Morels in Colorado 2017

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by beccuhhuh, Apr 14, 2017.

1. beccuhhuh

beccuhhuh Young Morel

Hey fellow mycophagists, I hope you're awakening from your slumber and ready to trek the beautiful foothills.

What's the earliest you've found a morel in the SW region? The first year I found them, and time I found them was on April 28th. I wonder if these warmer temperatures will have an impact on our friendly fungi.

Would you please share your resources of all things mushrooms in Colorado?

Here's one

https://www.missfitting.com/colorado-morels/

Happy Hunting

2. rockymtn9

rockymtn9 Young Morel

I live in Boulder, found a few in mid April 3 years ago in Golden area, near water. 2 years ago, it literally rained every day in May, and we had a nice flush, I found a lot off the peak to peak highway. I searched a burn a week ago (4/14) and nothing, so I think it's early. The rain we've had the last 2 days should help as it has been so dry. I think the high country, 8k and above, tends to start fruiting later typically, in May.

3. Brandon H

Brandon H Young Morel

Thanks for the info, this will be my first attempt in Colorado near Gilpin 8k+. Any advice helps!

4. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

i have found them as early as march, but today was first find of the year for 2017, been really dry down low and lots of snow up high. Wife and I picked 80 today in an hour on the west slope( west of the divide)

Attached Files:

5. rockymtn9

rockymtn9 Young Morel

Beautiful jparr, nice score! Thanks for posting. What elevation did you find them at?

I checked a burn at 7,900-8,300 on April 14th but there were none. Would like to revisit the spot this week. Happy Hunting.

6. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

7500-8000 ft in white fir recently killed by bugs

7. hstlrussell

hstlrussell Young Morel

found one medium black at around 7k on a south slope east of fairplay on the 25th. almost dry, still delicious. not near a burn area, and not many other mushroom species around, a few LBMs

8. Tad N

Tad N Young Morel

I'm originally from Iowa and spent most of my career in Kansas. Always had great luck till I got here. First question is where is the best location to look? Higher elevation or down lower? And is the season over here or has it even hit due to the odd spring?

9. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

Tad I to am a transplant from Iowa, first question to answer your questions is where are you located in the state. Regardless of the answer be prepared to put some miles on. We are approaching the end of imo prime picking time but there are still some to be had up higher. If you are lucky you maybe able to find them for the next several weeks, I had a buddy pick them in the first week of July last year.

10. Tad N

Tad N Young Morel

I'm in Colorado Springs. Putting on the miles is not an issue as I love to get out and hike. I've got an unproven theory that part of the issue with morels in Colorado is that while they are waiting for optimum temperatures, other flora are already in full growth.

I've found a variety of fungi throughout the summer, usually at 8k plus. They definitely were not in places that I would expect. The oddest finds were halfway up Mt Rosa, above COS, and found several varieties in very dry, rocky/sandy soil.

11. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

Might be little late think the highest elevations are around 9000 feet but check out the Junkins fire from last fall. Look as high as you can on forest in areas that still have live trees mixed in with some dead ones concentrate on fir and pondo. From there if it's too hot or low head over monarch towards gunnison look for moderately steep north facing slopes above 9000 feet either with pine or fir mortality from the bugs. If you can find trees with red needles I'd start there and work up in elevation. Last look where the aspens meet the conifers. Right now I'd be surprised if you find much below 9000 ft but not toatally unheard of if it's damp enough on a north face.

12. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

For those of you who have stopped looking, found these two while working yesterday, but didn't have a chance to look for any more. These were both fresh and marks the first west slope grey I have found to date. These were at 9100 feet north east slope dense fir high mortality.

Attached Files:

13. hstlrussell

hstlrussell Young Morel

I found a few lbs at 8000-8400 over the past week. tomentosas are just now flushing. conicas are quickly drying, most at that altitude are dead. blacks have all dried and died at this point there.

14. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

Well it's now June 29th 99% are dried naturally but we hit the mother of all loads today and will be going back three weeks earlier to the date next year, could not walk with out stepping on them for a 1/4 mile. By far the biggest find of my life literally thousands but made me sick knowing I was three weeks to late.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  15. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

That's frieken awesome! I know where you'll be next year at mid-June. Congrads on the find!

16. beccuhhuh

beccuhhuh Young Morel

That is awesome! What part of Colorado? Western, or Eastern Slope? Also do you have an elevation?!