Washburn County

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by kirk, May 22, 2014.

1. kirk

kirk Young Morel

My first spring in Wisconsin, northwestern Wisconsin. Any advise would be appreciated.

2. morel rat

morel rat Morel Connoisseur

Look for dead or dying Elms...and you should find them., if they are there....
    Good Luck!

3. rossehrenberg

rossehrenberg Young Morel

Go south if only 120 miles... Washburn will not start for at least 2 weeks iff. Good Luck> Point being if its popping now 200 miles south , you have at least 3 weeks till HONEY'S hit. But Keep looking. there is plenty of land to look at in that area. Check out Just ask the home owner. Now is a good time to look for grey's. they grow mostly in pines... That is very far north. Need to be a good person to find morels that far north. Meet some Kool people. There is plenty of them up there....?

TIP-Check Corny and make the trip between bayfield, washburn, and corny. You'll find some in 2 weeks. I might be a week behind, but my info is good for the area. email me . could give more knowledge of the area. I lived there. Ross E

4. kirk

kirk Young Morel

Morel Rat... thkx... elms is how we found them in Mich but so far no luck. Ross E... you say it's early up here... thx. I will keep searching. Thus far I find only wood ticks. I will post when I find them. Still hopeful...

5. collegechick

collegechick Young Morel

Ross - I would like to partake of your knowledge, if you would share! Just moved to Ashland in January (what timing!) and could really use some intel to resume the pasttime I so enjoyed farther south. a.b.brown@charter.net Thanks!!!

6. rossehrenberg

rossehrenberg Young Morel

Dear college chick & kirk. Although morels are very choice mushrooms. The north woods is really known for the summer/fall hunting. Chanterelles, Chicken of the woods, Black trumpets, Hen, even Reshi. Even if you don't find any morels don't get disceraged. There is plenty of other good hunting to do in the north woods. I would even find wine caps in landscapeing woodchips around bayfield. The morel season is about done if not already near green lake. Check in old orchards. Good place to look on the pennisula. There just so much more abundent down south its tough to know whether you'll actually find any. Now is a good time to be finding oyster's in the Chequamgon forest. Tons of those up there.Check out Big Top if you get a chance this summer. Fin's UP Alpine Valley,wi 8/23/22014 Be there ;)