Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Weather

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  heresone 
#1 ·
Anyone else been watching the precip totals and forecasts? December precip was a few inches above normal and January is going to close out right around normal after rains today.

Anticipation is killing me this year after a strange season last year.

#2 ·
I think that your prayers have been answered after this winter storm.I hope that there is a bumper crop for you.I am in Mo.and Im looking for some one there who is wanting to sell some mushrooms (Morels) please let me know if you are intrested or if you know some one who would want to sell some morels when the season gets closer.Here is my # 1-816-261-9512,you can reach me any time at that #,thanks a lot and God Bless.E-mail cowboy_home@msn.com.

#4 ·
We aren't supposed to get much of the storm here in north central WV. So far in February my local precip is about -60% of where it should be, but the air/soil temps are staying down and extended forecast is showing gradual warm up for the first half of March. Hopefully the rain picks up in March and its a mucky muddy mess.

#6 ·
here in northern kanawha co, weve totaled 3.7" rain for the month of March, not bad, it will help!..need gradual warmup thru April and more showers..nothing close to budding here..(poplar,elm dogwood,etc) ....this time last yr, it was already greenish in the hills. too warm too fast= bad season....looks for this yr to be lots better,..just a couple weeks later than usual.

#8 ·
MBD... I saw somewhere that you are looking around Harrison. I just moved to the Sout Harrison area. I've had a hard time finding morels since I moved to WV from PA 6 years ago. Would you ever consider having a buddy along to search sometime? I think I need a little guidance. I'm not too familiar with this area.

#11 ·
Utopian- Yep, got it. I'll get back to you here soon. I just got back in from a check up on my spots :-D Found a ton of False Morels (Gyromitra). Ground temps were in the low 50's in some spots but very dry for this time of year. Hoping the rain tonite actually hits us and the rain later this week pans out. They should be up by week's end if everything comes together, maybe sooner.

I'll shoot you an email soon.

#14 ·
Ugh....I'm just not feeling it this year again. It's starting to look a lot like last year and this rain that was supposed to hit yesterday went north, now the 1" today has been reduced to about .5". So that will be around .25" more likely.

It's really weird, some of the trees around are blooming, but a lot of the indicators like may apples havent even poked thru yet and i know the soil is in the high 50's and warmer in some areas.

Like I said, 10 days into April and not a drop of rain. We had a good bit of snow, so that may turn out to be our saving grace but It's getting to the critical time around here.

In my opinion, the soil and air temps have been good over the last week and the soil is prime. This shot of rain over the next 24 hours may give us a really nice flush because I've not seen a dang thing yet in my honey holes. I'll be out every two days after this rain to monitor.

#15 ·
i feel your pain MBD!...on a more positive note...a friend posted some pics on FB of a dozen found in Kanawha Co yesterday. just starting to pop-up, and some 2-3 inchers..even this minor rain will help...but with little expected afterward., Saturday the 13th, thru next week may be the best shot around here...maybe the forecasters are wrong and we get more than predicted, the next 7-10 days. im trading in looking for morels this wkend, for some trout fishing in the mtns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.