West PA season

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by stasiakj, Feb 3, 2017.

1. pamorelsxs

pamorelsxs Morel Enthusiast

Sorry. I meant SH . . .

SH - leeks are up. Small but up. Will snag of photo later 2day.

2. theuppershroom

theuppershroom Young Morel

Hey there all! I'm super brand new to the forum (first post ever actually), and I'm in the southwest Allegheny Co. area. I was thinking of maybe heading out to scout a few spots that were goldmines for fall 'shrooms this week; the temps & rain seemed promising to me, but do you think it's too early this week still? This is only about the 2nd year I've been serious about the hunt. I feel confident that I know what I'm looking for, but I'm still a newbie.

3. rippers

rippers Morel Enthusiast

Upper...
    I'm in southern Allegheny... Checked a spot for giggles today. Way too early IMO. Im not ruling out very random spots going early but in general, I wouldn't expect any decent flush for at least another 3 weeks. It's supposed to get cold again in about a week which should put things on more normal timing.

4. a_fuhs

a_fuhs Morel Enthusiast

Rippers: ya its a good thing we didn't hit buffalo. I got my biggest muskie to date. We have gotten that 47"...a 38 and a 35" since the 20th with multiple other follows. Friend request me on facebook

5. a_fuhs

a_fuhs Morel Enthusiast

Sheep. I havnt been up yet but the wire is starting now and the causeway won't be far behind. I'll prob be up this week some night. Keep you posted

6. sheephead

sheephead Morel Enthusiast

HI GUYS. I see all is just about normal here. Sx: W Va was same as here,just starting to prove w/ typical preseason ground cover but no signs of the goodies yet. Might gopher a short stroll down by the oh. river today... Who knows Fuhs: thanks for the post.I didn't want to get up too late again this year. Looks like ill be bustin camp open the weekend of the 8th. I figure if I can get all the opening pleasures out of the way then ill be free to play the following weekend.Are you and rip still planning on heading up the 13th? I know ill be there (lord a willin and the creeks don't rise)

7. a_fuhs

a_fuhs Morel Enthusiast

i wont be able to make it the 13th weekend. i have my daughter. ill prob be up this week and the 8th weekend im guessing

8. swpa

swpa Morel Connoisseur

9. swpa

swpa Morel Connoisseur

Supposedly, someone posted pics of a find on Pgh Mushroom Club Facebook page. Seems a few weeks early based on observations in the woods

10. dig

dig Morel Enthusiast

Blacks are up in Venango county...in my yard no less. Hemmed in by Norway spruce & hemlock though my lawn may be, it's still more sunny than most woods, so that may be the reason they are always early. Posted pics on the NW PA thread. They're mostly small yet, but some are nearly pickable.

11. Ry the fly guy

Ry the fly guy Young Morel

Just joined. Started really foraging some mushrooms last year. Found a handful of yellows in the spring and a few chickens and hens in the Fall. Went out over the weekend only to find an old hen (mental note for the fall) and some jelly roll. Frost on the ground on Monday so maybe it's good there's nothing out yet. I've got a few new spots to hit this year so hopefully something will produce. I'm in Beaver County.

12. theuppershroom

theuppershroom Young Morel

I have plans to go out to an awesome spot this Sunday - I figure after the all the good soaking rain we've had I might get lucky; but, the forecast is calling for cold and snow tomorrow. I know morels are tough, but what does everyone think? Will it kill off whatever has grown?

13. a_fuhs

a_fuhs Morel Enthusiast

It won't kill them but they won't grow anymore than what they are tomorrow.

14. swpa

swpa Morel Connoisseur

They are up here but spotty. This week should be super for early blacks.

15. morel4ever

morel4ever Morel Enthusiast

Hey Everyone! I finally made it back to the site. Been off the site for a year & 1/2.

Haven't made it out to check shroom spots yet. But I'll need to check my ramp spots ASAP.

Hope everyone has a great season.

16. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Was told when I first started huntin' morels that there was a connection with their "appearance/arrival" and hummingbird migration. So, I did some research back in the day and linked all kinds of sites and pages. Was lookin' for somethin' in particular 2day and came across this link: http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html which I haven't looked at in years. So, curiosity got the better of me. I took the dates I posted earlier for my 1st finds and compared it to the migration map. My 1st finds and the date of 1st ruby-throated hummingbird siting where I found them vary no more than 2 days difference!! No HB reported just yet in my early black spot but I'm headed there Fri morn. HB reported real close over the WV line though with a post date of Apr 11th. Anxious to see how this plays out.

17. a_fuhs

a_fuhs Morel Enthusiast

bunch of babies in two different spots yesterday. mix of blacks and greys...butler county

18. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Yeah afuhs!! Anxious to check my black spot 2mrw. Was in some amazing woods 2day. May apples up and unfurled. Looked as best I could but was with contractors doing some excavation. Didn't see any type of shroom. Headed back on Mon. I'll be checkin' those woods all season long!

19. Ry the fly guy

Ry the fly guy Young Morel

I was in mcconnells mills on Saturday doing some fishing. Walked 2 miles to fish and looked for morels a decent amount. Found some dead elms but no morels. Striking out so far this year.

20. muff1nm4n17

muff1nm4n17 Morel Enthusiast

I find them ]down in mcconnels mills every year Ry just have to keep looking haven't made it down there yet this year tho but found about 20 nice blacks and about 12 baby greys in my usual spots in clarion county today so there up here greys were really small tho