West PA season

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by stasiakj, Feb 3, 2017.

1. cableguy726

cableguy726 Morel Enthusiast

South central pa blowing up

Attached Files:

2. muff1nm4n17

muff1nm4n17 Morel Enthusiast

found about another 50 greys today in a brand new spot still in clarion county still gonna go out later tonight and look other new spots they were so small they might have just came up last night though

3. fungifriend

fungifriend Morel Enthusiast

What type of terrain/type of trees/elevation etc. are you finding them at?

4. PickinFungi

PickinFungi Morel Enthusiast

No morels but some nice Pheasants Back DSCN4833.JPG

5. jonny_rogue

jonny_rogue Young Morel

Found a few (5) in one of my spots yesterday in Allegheny County. Near slippery elms and maples along creekbed. They were pretty small so I left them. Will check back in a few days. Checked a few of my other areas but found nothing there.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Finally made it out yesterday; Friday never happened due to Easter weekend. Found a black as expected but just one in my early spot. Picked the ones shown due to location but left a bunch of smaller ones to grow. I can honestly say that I haven't seen that many morels in that patch for past 7 - 9 years?? Anxious to go back and see how many are there that I didn't see. ;) Headed out 2day to some other spots that always produce -- I do believe it's time! Plus, pics from friends showing finds near Connellsville and Somerset.

S'pose to be 80 degrees 2mrw w/rain showers over the next 3 days. Fri - Tues (next 5 days) has 10-20 degree cool-down. Should be prime. Then, forecast shows rise in temps back up to mid-high 70s and low 80s. Let's hope their wrong on those 80 degree days.

1st Black with Temp 2017.jpg 1st Black 18 Apr 2017.jpg 1st Find with Temp 18 Apr 2017.jpg First Finds of 2017.jpg

2 people like this.
  7. sheephead

sheephead Morel Enthusiast

yesterday was my 4th walk this year. went to one spot that always puts out a few. Much to my supprise I counted 61. Greys and Blondies. some may have been pickable but most were only 2 inchers, so I left them go. Will go harvest on Friday and that number will probably be closer to 90 by then cause I don't stray off the path to much. don't want to tromp the babies I didn't notice on the first trip. gonna ride out to ohio line later today to see if has popped yet. think this is gonna be a nice year, but a fast and furious one.

2 people like this.
  8. sheephead

sheephead Morel Enthusiast

I did get some nice pics but don't even have a clue as how to post them.

9. JWNY

JWNY Young Morel

I moved from Central Ohio, to Western NY very close to the PA line... how far north in PA has anyone found them?

10. morelsxs

Look below and click on "Upload a File". I'm sure you got it from there . . .

11. morelsxs

JWNY likes this.
  12. jerrymercerpa

jerrymercerpa Young Morel

Found some small morels in mercer county today. 2 dozen with just a quick walk

JWNY likes this.
  13. muff1nm4n17

I don't have many elm or poplar in clarion county so I try and focus my searches near old apple orchards old foundations and along old railroad tracks all 3 areas seem to have everything they need I do get frustrated sometimes though cause it's a little harder to find really good spots

Attached Files:

Cassy3 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. muff1nm4n17

Has anyone ever found these long neck short head blacks before

Attached Files:

15. wildshroomer

wildshroomer Morel Connoisseur

Yea...they look to be verpa variety or half free morels

16. muff1nm4n17

Still smell and taste the Same and I found a bunch of them

17. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

18. Diesel Fitter

Diesel Fitter Young Morel

Westmoreland Co.: found 3 yesterday real quick which was encouraging but only 3; excited this morning and was out early and found 1 again real fast but no more; frustrated; anyone else in the same boat as me?

19. muff1nm4n17

Thanks for the worry but I have also found some of those false that look like that 2 this year and I found a regular false morel right in with a nice patch of morels as wells I'll get a pic of it

20. snowbrdr1220

snowbrdr1220 Morel Enthusiast

Butler Co: Found my first two morels ever today! I've taken a couple walks over the previous two years, but came up empty every time. I knew they were starting to pop and conditions have been ideal, so planned on hunting hard this weekend and have been doing lots of tree research to target my search better. I took a short practice walk after work today in a local park, and found these two. Really wish there were more of them, but I looked hard after the first one and could only find one other one a few feet away. Lots of heavy leaf litter on the ground though, so not sure if I was missing any. Here's a couple pics of the tree and what I found.