West PA season

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by stasiakj, Feb 3, 2017.

1. ladybug34

ladybug34 Young Morel

Nice finds I live in Armstrong and will be out today for awhile. Found a few blacks the other day.

2. PickinFungi

PickinFungi Morel Enthusiast

Hit a couple few new spots over the past couple days. Elms, sycamore, poplar, hickory and some apple present in certain areas but no luck. Initially, I'm sure it will take time to find spots that are productive for yearly checks.

3. muff1nm4n17

muff1nm4n17 Morel Enthusiast

Real and false morel togther

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  4. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Double Yellows 21 Apr 17.jpg Yellow 21 Apr 17.jpg Double Yellow Pine Needles 21 Apr 17.jpg Yellow Bent Over 21 Apr 17.jpg Finds with Coffee 21 Apr 17.jpg Went out yesterday for a quick hour and a half. Too many damn commitments 'til this weekend to do an all-day'er. Anywho, found these very fresh, scrumptious shrooms in that short amount of time. Can't wait to get back to this spot tomorrow or Monday. Trying some of my other spots later this afternoon. Big cool down and wet compared to the last few days. This week should be great.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  5. Brian Sims

Brian Sims Morel Enthusiast

working and traveling during mushroom season is very difficult. I will be in Williamsport for the next 9 days or so. I will be there on 4-23-17 for 9 days. is there anyone that can show me some shroom spots in the area?

[email protected]

419-215-4045

6. Brian Sims

Brian Sims Morel Enthusiast

I will be in Williamsport for the next 9 days if you need some help picking mushrooms let me know as I do not have any places to hunt. back in NW Ohio I have some places but I have to be gone for work reasons during this season.

7. lnmnffe

lnmnffe Young Morel

20170422_121148.jpg Found this one and four others just like it in Lawrence County today. Also found a ton of very small blacks and grays, ranging from tip of your pinky size to whole thumb size. I left the blacks and grays to get bigger. The question is, how long before I should go back and harvest?

8. muff1nm4n17

I wouldn't wait too long especially with these colder night I found some starting to rot from the cold already today... but went to some usual spots for a good find here's some pics

Attached Files:

9. sheephead

sheephead Morel Enthusiast

Went out for a bit on Thursday and Friday. Thursday picked 62 left 9 back that were old or slugged over. Friday did a bit better picked 114 left a few dozen back for the same reason. they are all coming in at once now. Blacks greys and blondies. Fast and furious

1 person likes this.
  10. sheephead

yeah diesel, same here hit like five of my regular spots that always put out and nada. other places that had stopped producing the last couple years are putting up just a few.Dont know how to figure this year. Guess we'll just keep on keepin on

11. justlookin

justlookin Young Morel

Westmoreland Co: Spent a couple hours lookin yesterday with no luck. My friend on the other hand sent me a photo of their find.
    I'll just keep lookin! 2335.jpeg

12. Lori Lang

Lori Lang Young Morel

I live in NW PA. There is a great mushroom club in your area. WPMC. You should check it out.

13. jmk415203

jmk415203 Young Morel

Questions for the experts: Fuhs, SXS, etc etc
    I have property near Neshannock Creek in southern Mercer County. I have, from what I've read, prime morel habitat. Some old Apple trees in the "woods," some big elms, some dead elms, and recently I've finally found a grove of about 30 tulip poplar trees. In 4 years, I've only found approx 5 gray morels 3 years ago. Do you think my entire property is too acidic? I've heard morels like more alkaline soils. Am I wasting my time with my property? I'm still a novice but I'm getting really good at identifying trees. I keep thinking my property is prime for morels but never find any. I don't want to give up on my place but getting so discouraged. I know that Fuhs, you must be local, what do you think.

14. sheephead

JMK: you should be on the dead elms and dead and dying apples right now, forget the poplars its to late for them. you probably have a week left this year. fast and furious is not even close to describe this years bloom.

15. sheephead

The ELM GODS have been merciful this year, another 87 yesterday and today. Had to quit the walk because the Grass GODS haven't been so kind. had to cut befoe the rains came. maybe more tomorrow.

1 person likes this.
  16. sheephead

SX: Nice find bud. I didn't get to go out last weekend. What part of the burg are you from?

17. jmk415203

jmk415203 Young Morel

Thanks so much! Very good info. I actually found 10 yesterday on a hike! All were under dying Apple trees and near the road. Yes, I ventured off my property...
    So now a few other questions, you said poplars are done and now dead elms and apples, is that the normal progression? Poplars are always first?
    Second, I've found plenty of dying Apple trees in the woods, but now have only found morels under dead apples near the road? Any advice? Are morels more likely to appear near a road bc of the gravel and therefore more alkaline soil? Any thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  18. lnmnffe

lnmnffe Young Morel

First pic is my funds on Monday. Second pic is from Wednesday. 83 and 424, all within a 50 yard by 50 yard area in Lawrence County. Mixture of Apple, some cherries, and I don't know what else. I resorted to crawling because all I was doing was standing up and kneeling all the time. Found quite a few that were drying up. Hit it hard after this rain.

Attached Files:

19. muff1nm4n17

Anyone on yet this year

20. Star7moon.wr

Star7moon.wr Morel Enthusiast

Hello, I’m new on here.im in Somerset County. I don’t know if you could teach anything about morels and the best places to look?