Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Butler Co: Found my first two morels ever today! I've taken a couple walks over the previous two years, but came up empty every time. I knew they were starting to pop and conditions have been ideal, so planned on hunting hard this weekend and have been doing lots of tree research to target my search better. I took a short practice walk after work today in a local park, and found these two. Really wish there were more of them, but I looked hard after the first one and could only find one other one a few feet away. Lots of heavy leaf litter on the ground though, so not sure if I was missing any. Here's a couple pics of the tree and what I found.
Nice finds I live in Armstrong and will be out today for awhile. Found a few blacks the other day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hit a couple few new spots over the past couple days. Elms, sycamore, poplar, hickory and some apple present in certain areas but no luck. Initially, I'm sure it will take time to find spots that are productive for yearly checks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Double Yellows 21 Apr 17.jpg
Yellow 21 Apr 17.jpg
Double Yellow Pine Needles 21 Apr 17.jpg
Yellow Bent Over 21 Apr 17.jpg
Finds with Coffee 21 Apr 17.jpg
Went out yesterday for a quick hour and a half. Too many damn commitments 'til this weekend to do an all-day'er. Anywho, found these very fresh, scrumptious shrooms in that short amount of time. Can't wait to get back to this spot tomorrow or Monday. Trying some of my other spots later this afternoon. Big cool down and wet compared to the last few days. This week should be great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
working and traveling during mushroom season is very difficult. I will be in Williamsport for the next 9 days or so. I will be there on 4-23-17 for 9 days. is there anyone that can show me some shroom spots in the area?

[email protected]

419-215-4045

·
Registered
13 Posts
hello Jim and thank you for your service!!! Welcome to beautiful Pennsylvania!!

I'm in southwest PA, about 45 min SE of Pittsburgh so we are somewhat close. I am chewing at the bit this year more so than normal. Was in a horrific car accident in Oct 2015 and didn't start learning to walk again until July of '16. While my walking isn't the best, it's well enough to get me outside for this season! I can't wait to give my 2 cents and report my finds. :-D And I am hoping they are many! I have a few sites that I may have to pass on due to their steepness but I'm hopeful I'll be greatly improved in the short time between now and the 1st blacks of the season. You are centrally located to some good areas and could easily travel with the season progression. I am so praying for a better year than last. What I read here and on other boards, it wasn't a good one for our area. I look forward to your reports and wish you a great season.
I will be in Williamsport for the next 9 days if you need some help picking mushrooms let me know as I do not have any places to hunt. back in NW Ohio I have some places but I have to be gone for work reasons during this season.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Went out for a bit on Thursday and Friday. Thursday picked 62 left 9 back that were old or slugged over. Friday did a bit better picked 114 left a few dozen back for the same reason. they are all coming in at once now. Blacks greys and blondies. Fast and furious

·
Registered
20 Posts
Westmoreland Co.: found 3 yesterday real quick which was encouraging but only 3; excited this morning and was out early and found 1 again real fast but no more; frustrated; anyone else in the same boat as me?
yeah diesel, same here hit like five of my regular spots that always put out and nada. other places that had stopped producing the last couple years are putting up just a few.Dont know how to figure this year. Guess we'll just keep on keepin on

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll kick off the 2017 season on this forum! I'm in the Army so I've been moving around a bit. Spent last season at Fort Knox and managed to find a couple fruitful spots, but now I'm stationed in Coraopolis (I live in the Robinson area). This environment is new territory as this is the furthest north Uncle Sam has sent me.
I live in NW PA. There is a great mushroom club in your area. WPMC. You should check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Questions for the experts: Fuhs, SXS, etc etc
I have property near Neshannock Creek in southern Mercer County. I have, from what I've read, prime morel habitat. Some old Apple trees in the "woods," some big elms, some dead elms, and recently I've finally found a grove of about 30 tulip poplar trees. In 4 years, I've only found approx 5 gray morels 3 years ago. Do you think my entire property is too acidic? I've heard morels like more alkaline soils. Am I wasting my time with my property? I'm still a novice but I'm getting really good at identifying trees. I keep thinking my property is prime for morels but never find any. I don't want to give up on my place but getting so discouraged. I know that Fuhs, you must be local, what do you think.

·
Registered
20 Posts
JMK: you should be on the dead elms and dead and dying apples right now, forget the poplars its to late for them. you probably have a week left this year. fast and furious is not even close to describe this years bloom.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The ELM GODS have been merciful this year, another 87 yesterday and today. Had to quit the walk because the Grass GODS haven't been so kind. had to cut befoe the rains came. maybe more tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JMK: you should be on the dead elms and dead and dying apples right now, forget the poplars its to late for them. you probably have a week left this year. fast and furious is not even close to describe this years bloom.
Thanks so much! Very good info. I actually found 10 yesterday on a hike! All were under dying Apple trees and near the road. Yes, I ventured off my property...
So now a few other questions, you said poplars are done and now dead elms and apples, is that the normal progression? Poplars are always first?
Second, I've found plenty of dying Apple trees in the woods, but now have only found morels under dead apples near the road? Any advice? Are morels more likely to appear near a road bc of the gravel and therefore more alkaline soil? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
First pic is my funds on Monday. Second pic is from Wednesday. 83 and 424, all within a 50 yard by 50 yard area in Lawrence County. Mixture of Apple, some cherries, and I don't know what else. I resorted to crawling because all I was doing was standing up and kneeling all the time. Found quite a few that were drying up. Hit it hard after this rain.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 100 Posts