West Slope Timing

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by jparr1, Apr 19, 2016.

1. jparr1

jparr1 Morel Enthusiast

Well new to this site and I see that there are not alot of CO reps, but looking for some starter info on the west slope. Just moved to Cedaredge and I know the little boogers grow over here, but have no idea when and where to start. It took me three years in the fort Collins area to pin them down but I got to the point I could easily pick ten pounds a day for about three weeks with a couple pounds for a couple weeks on either side of that. Anyone care to share when is a good time and if its worth it to look low along the rivers and likewise in the aspen stands on the flanks of the Mesa. Is it worth looking on top of the Mesa or the Pondo stands on the Uncompahgre. Does the Gunnison sprout spores in the dead lodge pole. 3.5 million acres seems like a huge area to dissect and hit the time just right in all the different ecosystems and elevations. If any one on the front range around Fort Collins want to swap a starter spot for the Delta area I can extend the same offer for over there in the ******* area

2. dako21

dako21 Young Morel

@Jparr - I'm originally from Denver and living in Cheyenne now, so FoCo is only a stone's throw away. I've had some success around Aspen during previous fly fishing trips if you'd like to trade some info. Haven't been in a couple years but have some pics of what we found last time and can give some direction on timing. I'll be heading to Nebraska this weekend at a couple spots i've found some in the past.

3. jparr1

jparr1 Morel Enthusiast

Thanks dako21, but I should be good now. I got into the yellows a few weeks back and started finding blacks last week, now it's just the matter of keeping up with them as they move up. In your area right now I'd be looking on east west ridge lines. Stay ridge top and primarily hunt the spur ridges off the north side of the primary ridge. Given the date look around 7500-8200 to start. If you don't mind the drive head over west of Laramie, there was a large fire there in 2012. Otherwise look near disturbed sites like logging units and concentrate on skid trails. Right now ponderosa is the ticket for you next week lodge pole and June is white bark pine. Side note I never pass by a dead or dieing fir with out giving a quick look. Key is to move far fast till you find one than put the breaks on and scour the area pay attention to detail once you locate the first one!!!!!

4. jparr1

jparr1 Morel Enthusiast

Well I'm sure by this point in time most people have stopped looking at the site, but just to show the length of season here in Colorado and maybe a reason some people have a Hard time finding them here, a friend of mine by chance happened on to five this afternoon just above the 9000 foot mark. I had hung the bags up for the season two weeks ago because we had enough but now after a week with out fresh shrooms might have to give it another go this week!!!! Not sure how to add photos on here otherwise I ad a few... Happy hunting <strong></strong> <em></em> <span style="text-decoration:underline"> <span style="text-decoration:line-through"> <blockquote> [code title=""]

5. captainmushroom

captainmushroom Young Morel

So, were those 5 naturals? or was he in a burn zone ...?

6. jparr1

jparr1 Morel Enthusiast

I believe they are all natural, but there are several types of disturbances that will stimulate a flush!!
    This particular sight had been hit hard by the fir engraver bettle, no fire in recent times. Went my self on 6-11 and found 17 blacks and 2 false morels. There area areas the snow is still coming off and they are still pooping but getting harder to climb to them.