West Virginia Message Board (New)

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by cattiejo85, Oct 17, 2012.

1. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Use the HTML Code, not the Image Code

<a href="http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/mushroomjack1/media/IMGP0003_zps53c0b2bb.jpg.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017

2. abarker85

abarker85 Morel Enthusiast

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Mushroom season is over!!! Tell me where your spots are and I will gladly guard them for you till nxt year. lmao
    abarker your starving me to death man. Nxt bag of shrooms I find I'm coming to your house so you can fix me breakfast lol.
    I'm going to check my black spots and then down to the bottoms to see if any greys are up. Went for a short walk yesterday along the Ohio river while my son was fishing, no morels but the devils urns and verpa were out in force, and yellow root was coming up. Best of luck guy's will post if I find anything.

4. farmboy7261

farmboy7261 Morel Enthusiast

ya i am going out to day to look have fun be happy most of all smille it is a new day......

5. abarker85

PBWV - Nice try! I think the season is just getting started...tho I was surprised to find those and feel lucky. I hadn't ate a mess of shrooms in 2 years. I'd love mushrooms for breakfast, but that was my dinner plate. A friend brought me some ramps yesterday, had those for breakfast. My mushroom patch is on the southern 20 yard line of mountaineer field...the side closer the press box. For some reason those shrooms love astro turf!

I went out Friday and was out for 5 hours and didn't find 1. I went to a place I thought would be good, but no luck. My mom in Braxton (sutton) found 14 blacks Saturday. The weather this week is looking good. A little cooler and rainy. I was hoping it wouldn't get hot and dry. This past week the trees really popped out. I went fishing yesterday and worked around the house today. I'm thinking I'll take a stroll thru the woods tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day.

6. farmboy7261

ya i went out to day and got about a hand full....

7. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

I went out on Saturday morning and found a few small greys that had come up. Decided to give it another go yesterday since the weather was warmer Saturday and through the night. Seemed like the full day of good hot weather on Saturday helped, I found about 10 greys that were good sized and worth picking and a ton more that I left that were small. Still only one black, which is weird to me. It was nice and warm again last night with another good soaking rain. Lots of rain and cooler weather this week should make for an extended season, just as long as we don't get any frosts. This week should be good. Now I just need to find some time to get in the woods.

Found most of them around Elms. It became pretty easy. Stop, scan for an Elm, walk to it, look down and there they were.

Nice, fresh, egg sized grey. The best eating.
    [​IMG]

Enough for dinner....left the rest to grow
    [​IMG]

The almighty Elm....Found shrooms at every one of these. I realized that I have hundreds of Elms on my property
    [​IMG]

8. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Yup it seems that we skipped the blacks all together. Checked 3 areas yesterday for blacks and nothing, was in the bottom for 45 mins and had a butter bowl full of greys. Left way more than i picked, I bet I spotted 20 -30 more that were not much bigger than a pencil eraser. If the rain holds off maybe I will try a couple other spots today.

9. hunt1260

hunt1260 Young Morel

My first find in Webster County today-4 greys&amp; 4 blonds :-D

10. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Found 23 egg size greys and 2 decent yellows yesterday. Left a whole lot of little ones again. The season is picking up good now, but this up coming cold snap has me a bit worried. I hope it just extends the season and not end it. About 8 years ago I started finding greys, and then a cold spell came through with some frost and seemed to just stop all production. Then about 2 years later the same happened and extended my season.

11. rotorhead

rotorhead Morel Enthusiast

Congrats on your finds. No luck here in Morgantown, looked everywhere and nothing. Any advice on what habitat your finding in would be appreciated. Thanks

12. farmboy7261

i am finding them in rock piles in Hampshire county....

13. abarker85

Rotor head - I live in Morgantown. I don't have a car...but I'd be willing to go scouting for spots with you if you drive. My email is [email protected] My schedule is pretty open for the next couple weeks.

I found 13 greys monday morning. Haven't been out since
    - Anthony

14. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

rotorhead, I'm finding the greys in wide grassy creek beds with a mix of sycamore, ash and poplar. I'm in parkersburg and they are still spoty and spread out, I would guess by this weekend you should be finding some. Best of luck.

15. rotorhead

rotorhead Morel Enthusiast

Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback. I'm probably just being impatient, I checked my morel log from last year and see I didn't find my first until 4/28, then gangbusters! As far as the blacks go I think I'm just blind to them, most likely stepping on them and just can't see'em. Abarker I'll be in touch, I'm taking the first week of May off to morel hunt and will give you a shout. Thanks again and best of luck to all.

16. dubv27

dubv27 Morel Enthusiast

hi im new to this i live in the eastern panhandle of west Virginia if anyones close to that we can maybe hunt together. im 29 so in good shape to walk where ever ive never eaten morels before wanting to try them just dont know where to start i know elm trees and such. thanks [email protected]

17. farmboy7261

to duby27 right now is not the time wait till it worms up you might find some but not many.. eastern panhandle is a big place you have to give more to where you are . so people might help you...

18. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Found one dying Elm that had flushed. Pulled 70 big mature yellows.

http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh439/Banana3243/5E5AA342-92DC-44C6-B073-BC981ED2A066.jpg

19. tombombadil

tombombadil Morel Enthusiast

Could put that on a magazine cover, came out nice and clean!