West Virginia Message Board (New)

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by cattiejo85, Oct 17, 2012.

1. brian

brian Morel Enthusiast

l went hunting yesterday. northern kanawha co. found 0. still a bit early i believe..1st week of April, if we get consistent rains and moderate temps next 2-3 weeks.

2. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

I headed to my early black spots yesterday, nothing doing yet. Although the woods are starting to green up a little, trees budding, small sprouts of green undergrowth on the floor. 4-5" soil temps are COLD in my neck of the woods. I thought that 10 day warm up we had a couple weeks ago would get things started early, but I don't think so.

3. gwebb

gwebb Morel Enthusiast

Had a friend find a few blacks yesterday.

4. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Anyone in WV checking the board yet? This has been the warmest January/February in recent years. The next 15 days shows several nights in the 50s and day time temps in the 60s. I'm really hoping that Mother Nature still takes her time and I think that she will, but it gets me a little nervous for another early short season.

5. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Looking back at my journals so far this year we've had 11 days with daytime+nightime temps >100. Last year we had 2 by this date. We're also a few inches behind on precipitation through the first 2 months. By the end of the month well have had 15+ days with 100 degree day/night temps and several nights with 50+ degree nights. This is in NCWV.

6. brian

brian Morel Enthusiast

im a bit concerned also. too warm, too soon and below avg moisture, usually doesnt make for a prosperous morel season. mines been below standards the past 3 yrs anyway. lets hope for better conditions thru March and into April.

7. farmboy7261

farmboy7261 Morel Enthusiast

well lets see if the temps stay this way ill take a walk around my spots and see.. if any one finds any pleases post it

8. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Soil temps are still in the 40s so I'm not too concerned yet, but this 10 day forecast could get them up near or in the 50s for several days, which may get something going. Who knows, I just know I don't want to be left behind and I don't care what the calendar says.

9. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

First reported morel found in WV near Huntington.

10. farmboy7261

mbd do you have pic of the find... i live in hamshare county ill look to see if i see any

11. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Not my finds farmboy, but there's been several finds now in Southern WV. Clay County was the latest. Small blacks.

12. farmboy7261

MBD well yesterday i went to my spot did not see any if any one finds any please post pic thanks from Hampshire county

13. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

If you're in Hampshire County I'd say you have a few more weeks. I live in NCWV and we're usually 2-4 weeks behind what happens down South of Charleston.

14. Soma steve

Soma steve Morel Enthusiast

I live in Berkeley county wv, I have a report from yesterday, friend found 8 yellows about 30 minutes south of me.. there r coming!

15. Soma steve

Going to look today! Hope I find some.. Anyone find any near me yet? It would be
    the earliest I ever found them ,so we'll see

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    MAdmin likes this.
  16. Soma steve

Went out and found 0. I think we r still a little early here.. in the panandle. But u never know.. couple sunny days an I think it's possible. Be safe an happy hunting!

17. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

It's starting to green up around the Wood County area. I might go check 1 of my early spots this evening.

18. Soma steve

Yeah , it seems early. U never know.. with the warmth we had, then a bit of snow. Who know what's ganna happen. None of my early spot had any.earliest I've seen them was the 20th of April. I will check again tomorrow.. Need some warm night an think we'll be Picking! O, watch out for ticks! Finding them allready! Happy hunting!

19. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Found a few fresh blacks in NCWV yesterday afternoon.

20. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] Didn't make it out yesrerday. But did stop and take a 5 min walk on my way home from work. Found 3 only took pics of 1 because I didn't want to go off of the deer trail. My earliest find yet, beat my old record by 2 days lol.