West Virginia Message Board (New)

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by cattiejo85, Oct 17, 2012.

1. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Let's try this...
    IMG_0696[1].JPG

2. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Ridge line full sun all day. Mix of poplar and white oak, around a old farm dump site. Have been hitting this spot since I was 12 or 13 35 now and when I mow the grass for the 2nd time it is time to check lol. I know when I find 1 here my other early spots will start in 3-7 days. The weather looks pretty good I might have to take a long walk in about 2 days. IMG_0695[1].JPG tues, or weds.

3. eggbo

eggbo Morel Enthusiast

found 26 blacks yesterday in Lewis county. Hoping to go back today if rain holds off.

4. rotorhead

rotorhead Morel Enthusiast

image.jpg
    First yellow of the year from one of my early spots. Much earlier than usual, found 7 in all, Mon county WV!

5. rotorhead

Hey eggbo, what was the habitat? Congrats!

6. eggbo

eggbo Morel Enthusiast

mostly open woods mixed trees. east facing slope found 2 more yesterday in same general area.

7. rotorhead

Thanks for the info. Appreciated!

8. Soma steve

Soma steve Morel Enthusiast

Sweet yall. no word yet up here in Berkeley county. havnt be able to check the last two day..but it approaches . good luck everyone!

9. rotorhead

Am I the only one worried about this snow coming our way? Do any of you have experience what happens to morels when they get snowed on?

10. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

I don't think it will hurt much in my area. The ground is warm enough to keep the snow from sticking and most of the shrooms are still under the leef litter. The early ones might get a little shock but with temps back to the 50s that day and warmth with some sun this weekend should keep them going.

11. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Im with pbwv. No reason to worry. It's only going to be during the night when temps get into the 30s. The daytime temps for tomorrow and Saturday will be in the 50s. Some of them may get a little frost nip on the tips, but that's about it. Sunday and looking forward looks really good. The weather has been just about perfect this year, other than the incredibly warm February. It's been about average to cool temps, lots of rain, and the forecast looks like average high temps. No 80 degree days and drought conditions like the last few years. Hopefully it means a good and long season.

1 person likes this.
  12. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

I got off work early and checked on my ridge line and a bit of my grey/yellow patch today. Could only spot 1 more black and nothing in the other. Fiddle heads are starting to roll out in a few patches and just breaking the litter in others. A couple verpas and a scarlet cup were my only other exciting finds lol.

13. rotorhead

image.jpg

I went back to my early spot today, picked these for supper rather than chance frost damage. Covered about 20 smaller ones with leaves. Hope you guys are right!

2 people like this.
  14. joshmac

joshmac Morel Enthusiast

Any finds near ohio county.? Or still to early

15. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

I am in the Wood County, Parkersburg area. I went for a couple hour walk yesterday and nothing extra was up yet, Temps are looking good and a little rain in the future. Gettin my boots ready. I spotted 4 blacks last week but the cold snap stalled them some, I think they should be starting to pop up there mid week or into the weekend.

16. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

I'm hoping later this week we'll see some flushes here in NCWV. Calling for a warm rain this evening and over night. Full moon is tonight. Looking good!

17. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Wood county is popping, took these yesrerday before the rain hit and ran me out of the woods lol. IMG_0731[1].JPG IMG_0730[1].JPG

18. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

I forgot to say Hi MBD, glad to see you for another year. Anyone heard anything from Amanita, or is he still in hibernation lol?

19. Mat

Mat Young Morel

Has anyone found anything in Morgan or Berkeley counties? Went looking on Wednesday, but nothing was up. Is it still to early?

20. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

IMG_0737[1].JPG Wood county, I had about an hour after work and hit a bottom area that always produces a few small yellows and greys before it explodes. Picked 12 and spotted at least 2 dozen fresh starters that I left to grow up a bit. We need a little more rain in my area, Some of the first poppers are starting to dry out. IMG_0735[1].JPG

Mat and (deleted member) like this.