Western KY Shroom Hunters

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by cpolivick, Mar 30, 2017.

1. cpolivick

cpolivick Morel Enthusiast

I live down in Western KY in Carlisle county and have only been hunting shrooms about a year now, I'm open to suggestions and helpful hints from any and everyone to help me out. I started this forum to see if any other guys/gals are having any luck yet in my area.

2. Kelly

Kelly Morel Enthusiast

I hear you, I too would like to get a club going in western ky. I'm down around LBL and find morel picking very lean, but I've seen others with bags of them.

LoriMcNeely and (deleted member) like this.

3. cpolivick

4. cpolivick

found those yesterday in Hickman County, KY. Not many but they were my first of the year so I at least didn't get skunked!

5. LoriMcNeely

LoriMcNeely Young Morel

I'm in western ky today hunting in lbl is it better in the bottoms or ridges

6. Kelly

Kelly Morel Enthusiast

7. cpolivick

I was told by a friend who is older that has been hunting shrooms for years around WKY and he said the best places were north facing slopes, around young poplar trees, and dead elm trees. I always try to look around dead brush/limbs or along creek beds/banks as well.

8. Anthony Holt

Anthony Holt Young Morel

I went to lbl today and didn't see anything. I'm new to the area so I'm not sure if I was in the right spots. I tried skirting the lake but couldn't find a single one, even in the green areas.

9. Kelly

Kelly Morel Enthusiast

I'm on the same General concenseses as Lori posted. Found outside of all day sun, around elm, hickory, apple, and gum trees. Well drained soil.
    Most the ones I have found have been on flat areas with modest shade.

10. cpolivick

IMG_2217.PNG
    Pretty good haul today found in Carlisle county, KY. Went to some unexplored territory with a friend who has never been. Battled the rain and brought out 43.

11. Kelly

Kelly Morel Enthusiast

Thats a great haul. Your now officially additted to Morels. Can you share with us the type of terrain that was producing for you?

12. cpolivick

He loves it now. I found most of these in the woods where it was clear with just fallen leaves and dead stumps/trees in the area. The area was damp and had some slight slopes but for the most part it was flat.

13. cpolivick

Biggest one I found yesterday and the biggest one I've found in my life. That is my IPhone 5 to show a perspective of just how big it really was.
    IMG_0500[1].JPG

John Green likes this.
  14. Brandon.g

Brandon.g Morel Enthusiast

Why hunt in parks where you know other people go?
    I just walk out my door,and find a good patch of deep woods,and find all the mushrooms I can eat;-)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  15. cpolivick

Great haul yesterday with a buddy down in Carlisle county! Found a total of 169 but several were starting to decline. Wish we would've hit this patch a day or two sooner. Nonetheless, this was by far my best day shrooming and lots of fun!! IMG_2227[1].JPG

Buckbuster6213 and John Green like this.
  16. Kelly

Kelly Morel Enthusiast

A true monster of a morel and a yellow too, reminds me of my first big morel. LOL

Attached Files:

17. Montana Mic

Montana Mic Young Morel

I live in paducah. I am hoping people are already finding them...any luck...heard anything?

18. Montana Mic

Montana Mic Young Morel

Was this from 2018?? I live in paducah hoping they are growing already this 2018 year..

19. Brandon.g

Brandon.g Morel Enthusiast

I'm in Mayfield,and I'm patiently waiting too! I'm originally form Paducah, though,and I have some killer spots I can't wait to check soon, when it gets warmer!!!

20. deleted

deleted Guest

SSgt.CWhite and (deleted member) like this.