Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think with rain this weekend and warm temperatures next week, they should start popping up. I am going to check one of my early spots near Hot Springs this afternoon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in Penrose nc just went out to my early spot ground still cool need a couple warm days.Thinking about hitting south carolina.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you get part of the rain overnight? I still haven't seen anything over here in Arden, either. There were definitely some early ones in SC, maybe it's still favorable there. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went out to no luck, as well. That being said, a guy in a group I follow went out in Fletcher, and he found a tiny black morel. Others south and west of here are definitely starting to get good finds! Soon enough...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Checked my early spots in Swain county on Sunday with no results. I'm sure the rain will help, but the woods just did not look "green"enough. May apples were just starting to pop up. Dogwoods just starting to bloom and no red buds blooming. I think with good weather this week they will start to pop. I'm curious about this season this year since a few of my prime spots burned last fall. Folks always say the year after a burn is good. I scouted one particular tree that has always been good that is burned on one side and not the other. Will see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone hunt around Franklin? We are from Indiana and have never hunted in NC. How high up in the mountains do they grow? Are you allowed to hunt in the national forests?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I checked on Sunday, to no avail. I agree, the woods are just not green enough, but I did see the first bloodroot flowers in bloom, which is always a good sign. I think this coming Sunday or next, I'll check around Lake Lure, where all the trees burned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same here. Checked an early spot over the weekend, but nothing. I did see first bloodroot too, and mayapple just barely coming up. If we get some more rain this week, they should start popping.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Checked my early spot this past Wednesday with no luck. Had rain Thursday night and went back to same spot yesterday, Friday 3/31 and found about 40. All where small and left them to grow. Weather looks good for next week with warm temps and more rain coming. Should be good for the next few weeks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Checked my early spot this past Wednesday with no luck. Had rain Thursday night and went back to same spot yesterday, Friday 3/31 and found about 40. All where small and left them to grow. Weather looks good for next week with warm temps and more rain coming. Should be good for the next few weeks.
Went out to my early spot Tuesday 4/4 and picked 83 nice yellows. Wanted to "protect" them from the cold we are having this weekend. They are now safe in my refrigerator. Hopefully a couple of cooler days won't slow down the season to much.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Trowe, I will be in the Asheville area this coming week. What is the elevation where you are finding the yellows?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts